ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

A new synthetic shaving brush, what to choose?

Onno

Gentlemen, I am longing for a replacement of my Razorock synthetic brush. For traveling this kind of brush is a preference of most of us. But I dislike this Razorock. I have had a Tuxedo and a Muhle synthetic as well and let them go.

My reasons:
Fibres have a tendency to spring. With that the foam is found everywhere
Not enough backbone. Normally I prefer 2- band badgers
Too chemical

I read that Shavemac and Simpson make synthetic brushes as well with good reviews. interesting but before ordering I would like to hear some experiences. Are they any better than all the Chinese brushes?. Does the performance comes in the neighbourhood of badger brushes? Springing? Backbone?

Or can I juist better buy a badger travel brush?

Snuff

Badger travel brush, simpson chubby synt is closest but still ...

Hellas

Undercover Moderator
Put a Badger 2-Band in your Washbag. Never change a running system.;)

The only synthetic brush I kept is my Mühle STF 23mm and I take it also for short travel but make the lather in a silicon folding bowl. That works also with springing fibers. However, I prefer 2-Band Badger and a 22mm Frank shaving fore traveling more.

efsk

Sky high and six thousand miles away
I've tried the Shavemac synths, and was very impressed by them. Great latherers, great feel, really nice, however they are springy, so indeed: lather all over the place.
Previously tried the Whipped Dog, nice, Plisson L'Occitane, no backbone at all.

gvw755

For travel, I have gone with my lowly Omega S-brush. Very cheap so I don't worry about losing it, but it has a very long loft and the synthetic bristles have a lot of backbone and so it lathers easily and is small enough to fit in a spent pills tube and because it is synthetic, it will dry overnight.