ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Angle grinder?

janivar123

i have cut both metal and stone with a cirkular saw it may not be advisable but it works(most of the time)
It would give you a more stable movement and might be possible to get fitting blades for the job too

Using a carbide blade can generate a bit of heat when cutting hard rock, and when the blade burn it likes to get stuck(probably will eat a good chunk of usable stone)

janivar123

A tile saw then a band saw would probably be the best bet but then theres the price...
I suspect some of the problem with the angle grinder is the lack of stabilety

but im speculating now so we better wait till someone with some destructive experience chimes in

decraew

I wouldn't use an angle grinder if I were you. Too much vibrations.
If you want an electric tool, a (water lubricated) diamond blade tile cutter I think is the best solution.
You can also do it manually with a hack saw.

wdwrx

I agree with Decraew.
If you are spending money on the project, a cheap tile saw using a water cooled diamond blade would be your best bet. (mine was under $100, and has served well for all the tile jobs I've done as well, and I've cut my slurry stones with it) Barring that, a bit of elbow grease and a carbide blade in a hack-saw would do better. Those blades are available at most home improvement stores in the tile section.
The one i have is much like this one:
tile_saw.jpg
Edit:
These are the other type of hack-saw blades, definately much cheaper than the wet-saw:
(I've seen them in a wider blade which would be better for cutting long, straight cuts than the rod style.)
21880_48-43-0250.jpg