ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Another layer ID please

rtedwards

I have this lovely little bout, about 18 x 84 or so and it is so great that I would love to know what it is so I could look for a larger version. It is the fastest stone I have and is also smooth with great feedback. I have been using it to deal with specific parts of blades that are giving me problems, but if I had a 40 x 175 piece of this I would be in honing nirvana. Any ideas what it could be? Are these piccies good enough? A signature feature, I think, are those little lenses in the side, they are about the same color as the slate it is glued to. Thanks for helping.

t3fgdo

09lfpv

Rick, I honestly don't know.

Gary might very well be right, but it could be just as easily a glued La Veinette, a glued La Petite Blanche (both do occasionally need to be glued to slate). If those lines in the side were blue, I'd say La Nouvelle Veine. And it could even be a glued Les Latneuses (see Vault n°52 for that).
If I was able to try it, I might be able to tell more.

One thing's for sure: it's not a La Grise, La Verte or La Veine aux Clous.

If you put it in the sun for a couple of days and the surface doesn't darken, then it's no La Grosse Blanche either.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Well, I had a couple friends with good color vision confirm that those side lines are dark grey, not blue. And I put the stone in the sun for the past couple of weeks and got no photo darkening. So I guess this will remain a mystery until such a time as I come to Belgium for beers and a stone evaluation.

I've come to rely on this little stone more and more for edge rehab on Ebay acquisitions. Whatever it is I like it. I assume that if I had a piece large enough to lend itself to edge finishing it might be a challenge because it is so aggressive on plain water, but for bevel correction it is fantastic.

Thanks for the info.

rtedwards said:
So I guess this will remain a mystery until such a time as I come to Belgium for beers and a stone evaluation.

Always welcome, Rick. I happen to know less about Coticules than I know about Belgian Beers...;)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back