Another "vintage" one

Tok

Hello,

I got this:

5692148.jpg

5692152.jpg

Any idea of the layer?

First sharpening attempts look(/feel) very good.

Regards,
Tok

tat2Ralfy

Nice looking Coticule, unfortunately it is virtually impossible to identify these old Coticules

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Smythe

Indeed it may be impossible to identify... photos of the sides may help. I suspect it may have been on a fitted box.
Really like the back-side of that stone:thumbup:

thanks

Regardless of whether or not it can be identified, I will say that is indeed a gorgeous piece of rock! How's the edge it leaves? Crispy, engaging, mellow, etc?

Tok

Hello,

yesterday, I was a bit in a hurry, so I wasn´t able to type so much about the stone. It is 4cm x 17,5cm and I had to lap away about 5mm. I used abrasive sand on a marple plate. To prevent hitting the BBW layer, I had to lap it more on one side. Due to the "scars" on the back, which are pretty deep, I think that I have 4mm until I hit the BBW and 6-7mm until I have a hole in the middle. Thus, I am not so fond of the back, although it looks great.

The coticule side has a little bit of the pattern, my la Dressante has, I think, la Griese has it, too… I think, you know, what I mean.
The grey line between the Coticule and the BBW looks wider, than it actually is. From the side, Its about 2mm wide.

I made a pretty quick dilucot session (about half an hour, which is pretty quick for me) on a George Butler with pretty much hone wear (I´d love to have the same razor without hone wear…). Very good result. I have the feeling, that this stone acts pretty fast and leaves a crispy edge, although I´m far too unexperienced to really answer that questions.

Anyhow, this is my narrowest coticule and now, I get what you are talking about. If someone would ask me now, I´d say, go for a narrow one, 4cm or even 3cm.

Kind regards,
Tok

justin

I'm sure you guys have talked about this before, but am I the only one that doesn't like the label "vintage"? Anyway, it's a beaut. Use it, love, cherish it, pass it down to your son if it survives that long.

I have a question though. If you were to hit some bbw, would it even matter? I don't think it would effect the edge. (Remember I've been away for a while. :) )

Woodash

justin said:
I'm sure you guys have talked about this before, but am I the only one that doesn't like the label "vintage"? Anyway, it's a beaut. Use it, love, cherish it, pass it down to your son if it survives that long.
Yeah - it's interesting. A 'vintage rock'. Estate bottled, 400 million years ago.

justin said:
I have a question though. If you were to hit some bbw, would it even matter? I don't think it would effect the edge. (Remember I've been away for a while. :) )
Well - that would depend on if it was in the woods and didn't make a sound...:p

Beautiful stone, btw.

Woodash

DJKELLY said:
Very deep, there, Woody. What would you do with a wall?
Oh crap. I know I'm about to walk right into something (or would that be a wall?).

BTW there Dennis, has anyone tried to touch your junk recently? :lol:

Tok

That´s why I wrote "vintage" in " "´s. "Old" sounds wrong as well. What would be the best word?

Here is a picture from the side, by the way:

5701235.jpg

Not that I hope that it´ll help much…

Regards,
Tok

Bart

That side picture looks unlike any Coticule layer I know. Which doesn't surprise me. This stone could come from any former mine, and possibly from a layer that's currently no longer extracted.

I have no doubt that I'll serve you well. Lovely stone! :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Tok

Wow, if not even Bart knows what it is, it has to be something extremely rare and expensive! Just kidding.

have a question though. If you were to hit some bbw, would it even matter? I don't think it would effect the edge. (Remember I've been away for a while. )
Don´t think so. when I finish on plain water, I don´t have to hit this part. And using BBW with slurry (Dilublue-style) and finishing on a coticule works. But I have like 20 years to decide. If it bothers me, I lap away the corner.

Regards,
Tok

DJKELLY

Woodash said:
DJKELLY said:
Very deep, there, Woody. What would you do with a wall?
Oh crap. I know I'm about to walk right into something (or would that be a wall?).

BTW there Dennis, has anyone tried to touch your junk recently? :lol:
YES, and they were successful, thank goodness, but I haven't been to the airport in a couple days.