ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Any ideas what this stone is guys?

tat2Ralfy

Bought mounted in wood, covered in oil, I have cleaned it up and lapped it flat
Its a very very light grey/tan, with a slight purple hue, it has black flecks running through it, and red lines here and there, and very distinctive mottles that look like wood grain?

Dry:
043069f2.jpg

36522b6e.jpg

And wet:

f0fb0170.jpg

c4855291.jpg

Thanks for looking Chaps ;)

Are you sure that isn't just a floorboard? Wow you weren't kidding...that really does look like wood. Very beautiful.

I have no idea regarding its identity.

I'd be careful handling it, you could get slivers. Also, keep it away from open flame and/or rain.

It's an extremely rare "La Petite Brune" Coticule, mined in the only quarry that was located outside Belgium, somewhere in the Ottoman Empire, nearly 2 centuries ago. It is said Clint Eastwood owns one of the only three nowadays remaining pieces. The second one is property of the Sultan of Brunei. The third one was owned by Lord Meldrum, who died on the Titanic. It has always been rumored that an anonymous bell boy stole the hone and took it with him when he was saved. After that, the hone got out of sight.
I know the Sultan bought his in the late 1970's from one Rock Hudson, for the amount of 2 million USD.

They are almost as rare as the brown Escher, but of course not as good.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Hi Ralfy,

That is obviously a stone which is of no use to you. On the other hand, I like to look at useless things and am willing to pay postage for shipment to my cluttered abode...;)

But seriously, I also have one. Never covered with oil. I tentatively believe this stone to be the elusive Moughton whetstone (beautiful, mesmerizing depth when wet). I have a link somewhere to info, but have to find it...

I have tested mine somewhat intensively, with varying results(here it gets a bit esoteric). I took a Rodgers I was testing a purple Penwryn slate with (slurry to finish, not so great, though remarkably smooth...), and finished it on my version of this stone and got a splendidly keen edge. Not as comfortable as I would like but a clean HHT 4 off the hone. I did use a drop of washing up liquid in the water (slurry didn't seem so positive).

In my further attempts, without first using the other Welsh slate, I have not been able to get the same results. I have been meaning to go back to the combination with other razors to find out if there is some type of complementary action going on, or if it was just dumb luck. But if it was possible once...

regards,
Torolf

Wow thanks Jim and Bart :huh: lol

I would love to see the link Torolf my friend, I will try finishing an already shave ready razor on it, and see what happens, I did find during the course of lapping it, that it doesn't make slurry easily, I don't know if yours is the same? Also as I was sharpening a kitchen knife at the time, I gave it a few sets of 30 half strokes on the slurry, and it turned grey real quick.

I shall report back after conducting further trials, and then I may have to put it out to tender, with a modest 1.5 million reserve of course :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Hi Ralfy,

Here is the picture that made me think these hones may be Moughtons, if I remember rightly, it came from a historical/geological site?

I'll post a photo of my own after I can take some.

regards,
Torolf

Moughtonwhetstone.jpg

Hmmm,I`ve got a stone that looks excatly the same.A heirloom decending from my great-grandfather to my grandfather and now to me.It must have seen some 100 years of usage as they both were carpenters and used it for honing chisels.

Actually,I hav`nt tried honing a razor on it...

Torbs

I`ll post a picture if there is any interrest..

Scotchhound1969 said:
Awe Ralfy, i want one!

Cool find...look forward to your review of its capabilities.

Mac

Mac! nice to see you my friend, I will do my best to try it out in the next few days, I actually thought of you when I started trying to figure out just what it was, hows the TOS?

torbenbp said:
Hmmm,I`ve got a stone that looks excatly the same.A heirloom decending from my great-grandfather to my grandfather and now to me.It must have seen some 100 years of usage as they both were carpenters and used it for honing chisels.

Actually,I hav`nt tried honing a razor on it...

Torbs

I`ll post a picture if there is any interrest..

Yes please Torbs :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Oooh thats pretty, I have just given a razor 100 strokes on water with mine, test shave coming up, the HHT was a very clean 4, with the blade giving a tiny "ting" sound as the hair popped, after stropping 60/60 the HHT was even cleaner with almost no sound but still a very definate pop feel to it, so I am imagining the edge is as sharp as I could wish for, whether its as smooth remains to be seen :-/

Best regards
Ralfson

Hi,

Here are a couple pictures of mine. It is about 7 x 1 inches. The pictures show it wet, and they are a bit too yellow. The stone is actually a sandy tan color and the striping is very purple.

regards,
Torolf

IMG_7100.JPG

IMG_7102.JPG

A vey fine stone Torolf! But what the heck is it????
They all seem to have the same origin..
Torbs

wow:thumbup:

Thats 3 of us have them, see they are as common as mudstones lol, i shaved off mine this morning, and the shave was very nice indeed, a very tiny bit of Alum tingle, close, smooth, and comfortable :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with a Moughton :)

Well, common and common. A bit funny that three of them turn up with us when I have not seen anything like them before... But who knows what is under all those oil caked masses in boxes...?

Sounds like the edge that I got off of my stone. I need to try it a bit more. Thanks Ralfy!

regards,
Torolf

tat2Ralfy said:
wow:thumbup:

Thats 3 of us have them, see they are as common as mudstones lol, i shaved off mine this morning, and the shave was very nice indeed, a very tiny bit of Alum tingle, close, smooth, and comfortable :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with a Moughton :)

Soon to come: www.moughton.co.uk. :w00t:

Eighhhh....the magical stone,the holy grail to all honers,the stone that hones everything no matter whether it`s straight razors or the brakes of my 98` Mondeo.

Torbs

torbenbp said:
Eighhhh....the magical stone,the holy grail to all honers,the stone that hones everything no matter whether it`s straight razors or the brakes of my 98` Mondeo.

Torbs

You own a Mondeo! Oh eck!!
Bart said:
Soon to come: www.moughton.co.uk. :w00t:

Bwhahaha "home of the Fabled Mudstone"

Back