ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Bart, any feedback on Leo's Loom strop?

Snuff

Hi Bart,

I noticed that you took a loom strop at Leo's with the last shave meeting, did you find time to test it and if so what are you're thoughts about it? I know you didn't plan on using paste on it. Greets Ron

Yes, I have used that looms strop several times. it woeker fine, bit after the second use, the leather started loosing it's top layer, leaving a sort of debris on the surface that compares to what an pencil eraser leaves on a piece of paper. That didn't seem to interfere with good performance. If I rub the surface with my hands, more of that stuff comes off. I'm sure that if the strop was pasted, I wouldn't have noticed this, and since the strop is actually meant to be pasted, I do not consider this any kind of flaw.
Since then, I've put it aside, for use with a future experiment, where I would like to test a couple stropping agents that are softer than steel (unlike the true sharpening pastes). I'm thinking cigar ashes, chalk, etcetera.

The tensioning system, which is of course the heart of every loom strop, is brilliant. I can make a bunch of replaceable loops, and change them according to the paste and substrate I'd like to try.

Next time we meet (likely in Brussels next month?), I'll bring the strop with me, to show you the peeling of the leather.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I got one from Leo because I helped him out with the training of his dog. It was pasted so I didn't notice the peeling. I'm only a beginner as far as honing is concerned, I use Unicot to sharpen my razors and have used the loom strop to get just that bit extra out of the edges, they shave great. Been shaving with the same razor for a while, every now and then 5 laps on the strop and it's good to go even for ATG. As I'm getting better with my coticules it's possible I won't need it anymore but until then it's a great help.

Very interested in your experiments with other stropping agents. Your right the tensioning system is great and the cost for a new leather is not that big. See ya at the next meeting!

btw got my first revisor from Leo, after reading about revisors in this forum I have to agree they are wonderful shavers. The scales are going to be replaced by ebony ones.

page14-revisor-solingen-8.jpg

I reckon it's Dovo red paste you have on the strop. I know Leo swears by it. :) It's underestimated stuff. I too used it the way you do, during the first year I was shaving with a straight razor. Worked just great, though Leo manages to get even better edges of it, using his "slapping" stropping technique.

Cheers for getting the Revisor. :thumbup: They are excellent shavers in my opinion.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back