ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

dmt/coticule

I'm not really counting, but any evidence of the 600 grit pattern is surely gone after 1 set of 30 halfstrokes on either side of the blade. I 've never checked with the microscope if it vanishes any time sooner than that. If you want, I can run a quick test and count some strokes. But if you have magnification, you can do that for yourself as well.

Best regards,
Bart.

Bart i've just honed a little wedge on dmt 1200/ i then did 4 sets of halv strokes on coti then finished with dilucot. under 30k loop i can see very faint scrathes when the light reflects at an angle when razor is literly straight with facing cealing i carn't . With light reflection i can still see faint scratch pattern. Does that sound about right right. I'm a little paranoid and thinking should there be no scratches and just swiss cheese afect.

garyhaywood said:
Bart i've just honed a little wedge on dmt 1200/ i then did 4 sets of halv strokes on coti then finished with dilucot. under 30k loop i can see very faint scrathes when the light reflects at an angle when razor is literly straight with edge facing cealing i carn't . With light reflection i can still see faint scratch pattern. Does that sound about right . I'm a little paranoid and thinking should there be no scratches and just swiss cheese afect.

Gary I think your repeating yourself mate hahaha
look at the bevels you have done without the dmt, straight coti edges, I use 60X and if yours are like mine they will show a few very small scratches if the light catches them right, you know the edge you are left with is super smooth, if it shaves good theres no 1200 dmt left yeah?

I just been looking at bevels a and comparing.I no for sure when i shave arm hair with dmt edge it shaves but can feel real harsh and even make my arm red.I just rehoned with slurry and the faint scratches seem to be a little finer. I'm finished honing this wedge and the hht is ok.Just thought i would do 10 strop ing motions along my hone. Now this is a first for me but it realy improved. I never thought back stropping would be efective. My other bevels do have faint serations etc in the bevel. My la grelot from raspur was finished on 10k naniwa and the bevel is like looking in the mirror. Differant hone differant pattern . I no he honed that razor starting of on the 600, i also used the naniwas and they do give a mirror finish. Un like the coticule which can start of sandblasted .

The sandblasted pattern is typical for slurry on a Coticule. Finished with water, the edge looks a bit hazy with a scratch mark here and there. Just look at the picture of the Unicot article:
UniCot-magnified_edge40X-en-66fe2269.jpg

A good Dilucot edge will look a lot like the secondary bevel of Unicot. After all, it's completely finished on water.

Synthetic edge often look more mirror-like. Natural hones have larger particles. Their scratch patterns are typically wavy and shallow. That doesn't deliver a clear mirror reflections, because the light in scattered in all directions.
Fine and deeper scratches tend to reflect all light in the same direction, hence a better mirror aspect.
Mirrors have little to do with keenness. A butter knife can shine like a mirror.

Best regards,
Bart.

My bevel is all good juging the picture thank you bart, i just wanted to make sure i was'nt missing somthing.Second opinion is always good to have.

Looks Good to me too, thats what my bevels look like, always the odd light scratch here and there, as you say Bart, a butter knife can shine like a mirror

Bart after say 600 dmt or 1200 would you opt for a faster coticule to remove scratch pattern?
or not?

When i use my 21 which is moderate it does'nt seem to fully remove the marks, not like my faster nu 3?

Do you use slight pressure? i should imagine so with half strokes

so basicly after bevel rebuild would you go for fast or does'nt make any differance if you was to use moderate . I will try both and compare at some point i will come 600 with both and just compare the shaves.

garyhaywood said:
Bart after say 600 dmt or 1200 would you opt for a faster coticule to remove scratch pattern?
or not?

Well, I hardly ever choose the Coticule I'm using, because I'm nearly always using one I'm testing.
It's been a long time since I last used my DMT1200. I consider most Coticules quite capable to do the job of a 1200, even the slower ones. If I get the idea that 10-15 minutes on the Coticule are not going to be enough to give me a perfect bevel, I jump down to the DMT600. That actually only happens when a razor is really damaged, or on some cheap new razors that have a lousy factory bevel. I pre-dull on glass, work on the 600 till I can pop a few hairs of my arm. At that point I pre-dull again, and start working on a Coticule. It never takes me very long to get it shaving again from that point. Usually 1 - 3 sets of 30 half-strokes on each side of the blade, which takes 2, maybe 3 minutes? Then I do 50 regular laps (X or rolling X) or so. I don't count. At this point, I'll check with a TPT, sometimes magnification as well. If I'm satisfied, I'll continue with a dilution phase, or whatever I was up to.

garyhaywood said:
Do you use slight pressure?
Doing halfstrokes, I always have some pressure going, but never more than the force of the finger that rests on the hone. I don't recommend any pressure that comes from the wrist.

Best regards,
Bart.

Bart,
i just dulled razor and honed on my 600 mesh, then i dulled and may be 4 sets of half strokes and 50 laps normal and the edge was sharp. under the loop i found the scratches looked less aggresive with the 600 mesh than my 1200 dmt . Reason being i think its due to there differant 1200 being cont surface and the 600 being dia sharp surface. Honed away on 21 and it seems all good. The hht after remaining slurry as usaul very good. I will shave and see if the edge delivers anice smooth shave. If it does this will confirm this coti takes care of dmt scratches no problem. I'm reaching hht on 21 with ease nu 3 takes a little more strokes to get there.

Back