ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Edge and blade measurements for angle calculating

king

I am interested what measure to take in consideration for bevel angle calculation (.xls table). Many times spine thickeness is not same all the way from heel to tip end, also blade width sometimes vary a bit from heel to tip part of the blade.
In that case what measure to take in consideration (the highest one, the smallest one or maybe average measure).
For example:
Spine thickeness in the heel part is 5,8 mm.....in the middle 5,6 mm...near the tip side 5,9 mm (which measure I have to put in .xls table).

Thx

Bart

Mostly, you will find this on razors with a smile. Where the spine is thickest (in the middle), the blade is widest (which is only normal).
In cases where there is significant variance along the edge, I calculate the angle at 3 spots: the tip, middle and heel. I will aim to keep all present angles within the acceptable range (15-20 degrees)

Kind regards,
Bart

king

So, what's influence of bevel angle on blade shaving angle.
If we consider that's optimal blade shaving angle is 30 degrees is there any influence between different bevel angle on that shaving angle. Hope that you understan point.

tat2Ralfy

I don't find that a difference of one or two degrees on the bevel, makes a difference to the angle which I hold the blade against my skin, tbh I shave with the razor both nearly flat and with the spine raised at more than 30 degrees depending on the part of my face and which pass I am on.

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)