ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

finger position

garyhaywood

when doing half strokes. where are you guys resting your index finger.On the spine or actauly on the blade or half and half finger basicly on the blade and over lapping on spine.
I noticed bart rerst most of his finger on the very blade. does it make any differance wher the index finger is positioned?

coming towards me i naturaly rest my finger full on the spine. but naturaly with out thinking my finger ends up more so on the blade this is when i'm going away from me.

gary

I am the same as you Gary, as you have seen, I tend to place my finger mostly on the spine, but I do also put it partly on the blade, if there is an area that I am giving a bit more work I go for the finger right onto the blade.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Sometimes on the spine, sometimes on the blade. I don't choose where consciously.

Except when there's an awkward spot I can't get right, then I place my finger there to localise the pressure.

Mine kinda varies depending on the razor. If I'm honing a small 5/8 razor I'll probably have my finger on the spine, but if I'm honing my big 7/8 (closer to 8/8) wacker I'll put it on the blade for more control.

I would think putting any pressure on the blade would lead to trouble at the bevel. The steel being so thin and flexible.
I put my finger on the spine.

garyhaywood said:
when doing half strokes. where are you guys resting your index finger.On the spine or actauly on the blade or half and half finger basicly on the blade and over lapping on spine.
I noticed bart rerst most of his finger on the very blade. does it make any differance wher the index finger is positioned?

coming towards me i naturaly rest my finger full on the spine. but naturaly with out thinking my finger ends up more so on the blade this is when i'm going away from me.

gary
Gary, my friend, you are the undiluted essence of this forum.

I think it makes no matter where you place your finger as long as you concentrate on the edge "kissing" the hones. Think finesse. To me it is a matter of making sure the spine is flush on the surface and the using thumb and middle fingers to very, very slightly torque the edge into the hone, even on the most rapid stroke. Extra pressure with a finger is indeed very useful for trouble spots. I invoke Bart's idea of just "thinking" about the problem spot and it just fixes itself. Gary, from what I know of you, I am sure you do all these things subconsciously and very well, indeed. YYP, Denny

Back