ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

First coticule

Sando

My new coticule from Superior Shave landed yesterday. 50x175 select. I've been using lapping film and it was just OK. I knew it could be better so I did alot of reading here and other sites on cotis.

And now I get it! I get what everyone is talking about by feedback from the stone, by making slurry, just the sound of the blade traveling over the rock is so cool. I had an hour to play with it and got a pretty decent edge on a large razor I have and I'm hooked.

Couple questions:
I rubbed the coti with the slurry stone about 20 times before any slurry created. Then it just rose up all over. Is the slurry created by the slurry stone, from the coti itself, both?

How fast is a 'fast' stone? 50 laps to an edge? less?

Anyways, I'm looking forwards to learning my coticule.
...Ray

It's hard to tell without a side view, but based on the picture and your comment on feedback, I'm guessing that it's a La Grise. If that's the case, you got a good one in my opinion, especially since these are amongst the easiest to use (not to mention that they scream and shout if your stroke is wrong). It is probably a soft stone, though, so do avoid banging it against anything, even gently, as it will chip and flake easily. It is also recommended with this layer to augment the finishing stage with some strokes, say 30-50, on very thin slurry before a final water-only stage.

Welcome to coticule.be :thumbup:

Sando said:
I rubbed the coti with the slurry stone about 20 times before any slurry created. Then it just rose up all over. Is the slurry created by the slurry stone, from the coti itself, both?
Both, of course. Which participates more depends on their relative hardness, but it seems it proves of no real concern.

Sando said:
That is quite a general question to me, as there are stones which are fast on slurry, but finish slow, others are fast finishers - also how many laps you need to get your edge ready depends on its condition. 50 laps is usually what you need just to refresh a bit worn an edge, so if there was a stone that could do more with merely 50 laps, I'd consider it super fast. There are members who have experience with many more stones than I, so they can come with a more precise answer to that.

best regards,
Matt

Your answer seems pretty darn complete to me, Matt. If you have only one stone you are actually in a good place. Learn to use that one stone well with help from the honing academy and you will be way ahead of the game. I didn't do that, of course, but do as I say, not.......Denny

danjared said:
It's hard to tell without a side view, but based on the picture and your comment on feedback, I'm guessing that it's a La Grise. If that's the case, you got a good one in my opinion, especially since these are amongst the easiest to use (not to mention that they scream and shout if your stroke is wrong). It is probably a soft stone, though, so do avoid banging it against anything, even gently, as it will chip and flake easily. It is also recommended with this layer to augment the finishing stage with some strokes, say 30-50, on very thin slurry before a final water-only stage.
I asked Jarrod for a stone that'd be good for me as a beginner. Forgot to ask the actual layer but it didn't really matter to me. It's got a wonderful look when covered with water, a great deal of depth. And soft for sure - it lapped much easier than I expected.

...Ray

Matt said:
Welcome to coticule.be :thumbup:
Thanks!

Sando said:
Both, of course. Which participates more depends on their relative hardness, but it seems it proves of no real concern.

Sando said:
That is quite a general question to me, as there are stones which are fast on slurry, but finish slow, others are fast finishers - also how many laps you need to get your edge ready depends on its condition. 50 laps is usually what you need just to refresh a bit worn an edge, so if there was a stone that could do more with merely 50 laps, I'd consider it super fast. There are members who have experience with many more stones than I, so they can come with a more precise answer to that.
Well, I just picked 50 as a random number but I see what you mean. Less than that would be amazingly fast...
best regards,
Matt

Sando said:
danjared said:
I asked Jarrod for a stone that'd be good for me as a beginner. Forgot to ask the actual layer but it didn't really matter to me. It's got a wonderful look when covered with water, a great deal of depth. And soft for sure - it lapped much easier than I expected.

...Ray

I hope you enjoy it. These ones really seem to have as much "personality" as a piece of rock could have.

Nice coticule there!! I have one of these (I think), and it works like Jared said.......very easy to hone and pretty slow on just water.

The pure water phase just seems to put a shine on the edge, with very slow refinement, so aim to get your final keenness before you completely remove the slurry.

So, I've been reading and re-reading and watching all the videos on this site. Very helpful. I have been playing with this stone trying to see what I got. Flailing about mostly on a handful of razors. I wasn't able to get a shave from any but one - just luck.

Then last night I set about to do the Dilucot method as best I could and was rewarded with success. Here's what worked:
Set the bevel on Duosharp 1200. Not completely popping hairs on my arm but pretty good.
15 rounds of 15 laps on each side on coticule. Drop of water between laps. I was surprised by the slurry turning gray so quickly but took that as a good sign.
Rinsed stone off and did 50 laps on clean water.

Did 40/50 on linen/leather this morning and had a very nice, comfortable shave. It's starting to click...

...Ray

I ordered the same 50x175 select non-combination from Jarrod and mine is a La Grise, my post is above a bit. Enjoy!!

bluemantra said:
I ordered the same 50x175 select non-combination from Jarrod and mine is a La Grise, my post is above a bit. Enjoy!!
Yep, I think we got twins!
Have fun with it...
Ray

Back