ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

God I love those Garnets!

justalex

Another Thank you thread to the forum disguised in a Garnet appreciation thread;) A post in another thread started me to create this thread

Member: BlacknTan
I don't post much, but I come here often to read and try to learn something..

Emmanuel's post here is a good example of little gems that can be mined from this site!

I have to say thanks for all the great members here(just as I'm getting really nice edges from my coticule) which as well as answering all the questions and tutoring the next generation of coticule honers also - on occasion (from reading other posts in other forums) - sometimes have to defend the work they've done with the coticule with the one stone honing and unicot/dilucot methods and I have to admire how much passion and dedication it takes to run a forum as well as find new ways to use this amazing stone - Bart, Gary, Emmanuel, Dr. Ralfson, Paul the researcher and all the other veterans on the forums that answer all the newbie questions. I owe my blemish free shaves, clear skin, light wallet and smile in the morning to this forum and its members. And the thing is... my edges can still get better!

So that its not just another thank you thread, I thought I'd take the opportunity to post a pic of my coticule to see if anyone has any ideas of the vein origin. Gary's already had a look at it and think its a dressante. Its very quick on slurry and very slow on water - my judgements have changed throughout the last 4 months but I'm now sure of its cutting speed, after getting my dilutions down. I would just really like to know - if possible - where it came from, purely for the history aspect. Its a standard coti

Edit: tried taking apic of my coti, but the light in my room matches the coti, like finding a coti in a custard bath :) I'll post one tomorrow in the daytime.

You're most welcome Alex.

It's always great when Coticule.be gets recognition for one of its main goals, which is go help Coticule users around the globe.
And you are right to mention some of the names without whom there would be no Coticule.be at all. We are lucky to have plenty of members who are almost daily on the lookout for fellow Coticuleers in need of assistance. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Believe me Alex, I am sure I speak for all of us when I say
Thank you
The pleasure is ours good Sir ;)

It is your success with Coticules that brings me the greatest pleasure, I find it inspiring that we are able to help
As my signature line says. We are all pioneers in our own way :)

My warmest regards
And thanks again
Ralfson (Dr)

It's thanks to this site and regular contributors that I can hone at all on a coticule now.
I know there are detractors of coticules and these methods on other forums, which is their right and fair enough.
These are the same forums where I have also picked up what I now consider quite a bit of nonsense.
It's all good learning though, figuring out what works.

Good luck and happy honing:thumbup:

I'm flattered to be mentioned in that post.

Thank you

Familiar faces makes a community, and every thread I look at Bart, Gary, Emmanuel, Dr. Ralfson, Paul the researcher Disburden and Torbs - which I forgot to put into my first post, sorry :blush: - all get stuck in because you love coticules and love talking about them, its brilliant and is rarely found these days, so thank you.

It's thanks to this site and regular contributors that I can hone at all on a coticule now.

Exactly my thoughts, I'd be buttering rolls with my razors if I didn't have this place :)

Finally managed to get pics of my coti, if anyone knows where it could be from, its very plain looking but cuts very quick on slurry and very slow on water, like honing on glass.

its backed with slate and is a standard grade coti.

kind regards, Alex

Alex,

It can be from a number of layers, possibly likely La Nouvelle Veine, but also several other are not to be ruled out.
If you can post a good picture of the side of the stone, that might help to make a more conclusive determination.

Also, it's not easy to see on your pictures, but has this stone a clear pattern that feels smooth to the touch but looks like wood grain? Or is the texture I think I can see merely a case of picture noise?

Kind regards,
Bart.

I think that's picture noise I noticed that on the pictures, but couldn't work out how to get rid of it. The surface is completely plain an devoid of any pattern at all apart from the lines on it.

here's some side pics;

regards Alex

Based on the traces of pink at the sides (and also a bit at the surface), the absence of a pattern, the thin manganese cross-lines and the lighter diagonal striations, I'm going to say La Dressante, with good certainty. The manganese hairlines indicate it's from the faster "upper" part of the layer.

I like these a lot.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Cheers Bart, looks like Gary was right, not that I don't trust his judgement, with edges like Gary's who wouldn't? but its always good to get a second opinion, thanks Bart.

kind regards, Alex

What else I can add, we're all most glad to be able to help. And each one of us was at the point when we were taking the knowledge more than giving, so now we're happily returning it all back. Equilibrium in nature and all that. :thumbup:

regards
Matt

Your right Matt, hopefully I'll be at that point in the future when I can give advice on technique and coti honing with confidence. right now I'm still trying to max out my edges. so far, I'm really close, I can hone up a razor in 25-30 mins or 45-hour if I have trouble finishing.

regards alex

Hi Alex.I am happy to be included in the coticule.be helpers.I ll be always at your disposal.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I'm sure you'll be helping me out again Emmanuel before I make it as a coti honemeister ;)

kind regards
Alex

Alex was that the one you sent me to try out? i carn't remeber , thanxs for your input:thumbup:

Its nice when things start to work out for members. A lot of new members loose faith when there coticules don't deliver, I find if they get support and advice, in the end they end up loving honing as much as shaving.

gary

Alex was that the one you sent me to try out? i carn't remeber , thanxs for your input

Yeah, it smoothed out alot since I got it back and is a super smooth finisher, makes it a bugger to get a good HHT though :rolleyes:

Its nice when things start to work out for members. A lot of new members loose faith when there coticules don't deliver, I find if they get support and advice, in the end they end up loving honing as much as shaving.

yeah, I had those moments when I was fed up with honing on the coti and wouldn't hone for at least... a couple of hours :)
the advice I got here and your emails were really helpful, couldn't imagine coti honing without coming to this forum and seeing Bart's bowler hat ;)

regards Alex

yes it was fast. I've just latley been trying with my lv, a very light skimmed milk slurry to set bevel with, and it seems to work well. maybe you could try this.As your stone is quik on slurry. i've found my lv not easy to get a good ht, using skimmed milk slurry seemed to work , with the aid of more strokes .

gary

Cheers to Bart! coticule.be is one of the few forums I frequent primarily due to the rationale displayed by its contributing members.

Have to say I've certainly learnt a thing or three from this site.
I did the 300 laps a day for a week thingy on my old Filarmonica and I get lovely smooth shaves from it with no burn (and no need for post shave balm/moisturiser afterwards). The HHT's aren't brilliant as I have fine head hair (and sometimes have to use my chest rug for the purpose being thicker) but arm hair falls off.

I love my coti and rarely use anything else now (except maybe the CF on the odd occasion).

Going to have to try the BBW side though, see how that compares and if doing so many strokes on water for a week makes any difference?

Back