ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Help in identification

Tcensor

I got this stone as a gift from a friend in England. He could not tell me anything about it other than he found it in his Grand father's tool shed when they where cleaning the place up (his Grand Father had recently passed). It is a pretty hard stone with an interesting coloration of grayish - blue - green ranging to a sort of pinkish - red, I tried it with some water and it produced a white slurry that rapidly turned gray / black when I sharpened a knife on it. It seems to be a pretty fast cutting stone. Could anyone provide any more information on what this stone might be?

c019579b.jpg

I won't be able to identify the stone, but it looks from the picture that it has a heavy oxidation/dirt layer that makes the surface hare to see. I would lap the surface with a coarse dmt to reveal the grain if that is not something that might destroy the value of a collectible.

Thanks. I took you up on that suggestion. I lapped it. I also tried to take some better photos of it - not sure I managed that quite well.

e4d19f59.jpg

a2942fe2.jpg

It does like rather Charnley Forest like to me, however they dont usually have that much purple in them, they are very slow on water, I have never tried slurry, and they are very very very hard, and I mean hard.

Did you try it on just water? and was it in a wooden box at all?

I have a few "Unidentified" old naturals that I came across whilst searching for my Charnley Forest, one I have is almost the same colour as yours but without the Purple, I put it somewhere in the mid range with water, its quite fast and boy you wouldnt want to shave off it, the Charnley Forest on the other hand is a top notch finisher, a little too crisp for my face, but it leaves a very very sharp edge.

Good luck with your search

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I did try it on water alone. It was somewhat sluggish compared to with the slurry - but it still produced a wicked edge. A bit crispy for my taste as far as a razor would go (perhaps I should try it on one of my straights after all), but for a knife? outstanding. It was found in an old wood box but apparently the box was completely falling apart so my friend just sent the stone. What if any would be the significance of the box?

Mmmm sounds promising, I would try it on a razor, just as a finisher on a shave ready razor, I give my Charnley about 60 on lather, and the HHT is great, its only really after I shave that I find the edge has left my face a little too "refreshed" to make for a comfortable everyday shaver

The Charnley's tend to come in Mahogany boxes, some where quite ornate, thats why I asked about the box

I might have to ask one of my fellow British CF owning chums to come have a quick look

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
It does like rather Charnley Forest like to me, however they dont usually have that much purple in them, they are very slow on water, I have never tried slurry, and they are very very very hard, and I mean hard.

Did you try it on just water? and was it in a wooden box at all?

I have a few "Unidentified" old naturals that I came across whilst searching for my Charnley Forest, one I have is almost the same colour as yours but without the Purple, I put it somewhere in the mid range with water, its quite fast and boy you wouldnt want to shave off it, the Charnley Forest on the other hand is a top notch finisher, a little too crisp for my face, but it leaves a very very sharp edge.

Good luck with your search

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
Yes, Dr., but is it hard? Lapped yours on a 1200, didja? Oh, to be young and foolish again. YYP, D.

DJKELLY said:
Yes, Dr., but is it hard? Lapped yours on a 1200, didja? Oh, to be young and foolish again. YYP, D.

My CF is harder than a bus full of skin heads. 1200 pah! That would barely polish mine Denny
Try 3 sessions of 320 then 1 more on 600 and a final go with the 1200. It took me 2 evenings and I am tough bastard

Regards
Ralrson (Dr)

I am not nearly as tough (or as brave) as either of you. I lapped this stone on a belt grinder. It was putting out sparks while I was doing it and by the time I was done - so where the belts I used on the grinder. I went up to 600 grit belt on it. Today I used it on a straight and tried a shave with it. I did what Ralfy suggested (60 laps on lather after the razor was already "there") - I have to say - nice close shave, but the edge was too crispy for my taste. It was almost like shaving directly off a Petite Blanche with no strop work after the honing.

Well it looks like you have a rare valuable and very beautiful Charnley Forest!

they do leave the edge a little crispy for me, and someone suggested I should give it a few shaves to see if it tamed down a bit, but I havent, I figured my Coticule edges are spot on, from the first shave so why bother?

Well done great score

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Tcensor said:
by the time I was done - so where the belts I used on the grinder.

LOL!!!
Remonds me of a story Bart told. He once took a coti to a stone cutter to have it cut to his needs. Aledgedly, the guy got pretty amazed that his cutting wheel actually got sharper instead of wearing down .....:lol: :lol: :lol:

:D thats funny!

Oh, I just noticed you are in Switzerland! We are in Switzerland from 13 to 20 Dec. Can we buy you a beer?

Ooops....

c2f41761.jpg

looks like we will have to have that beer next time I'm in Switzerland. This happens once every few years :)

I am sure that this stone is a Vintage Charnley Forest Hone IS working with oil better.

1291925805_IMG_9514_w170_h170.jpg

Emmanuel

The fhotos is to help you, comparing with your own

Marry Christmas
Emmanuel

Back