ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

HHT results...

jfdupuis

I know that the primary use of the HHT test is to determine how the edge is performing right after honing, but do you guys then proceed to subsequent HHT testing after you've shaved with a razor a couple of time? I'm sure most people don't bother, but I thought I would ask to see if people keep the test in their toolbox even after the initial honing.

Thanks,

JF

Depends of the razor quality Jean Francois and not of the honing.If you have a clear 4,5 HHT after honing that's the best. This period i shave with same razor since three months and so far the razor still keeps HHT3. It is a vintage razor but not a great trade mark. Intend to write a new thread for that.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Great! I'm still getting very good HHT feedback, but it's not exactly the same as after honing. So you've been using the same razor without any touch ups for 3 months? How many shaves would that entail?

JF

Emmanuel has been stropping since before you born JF. When your stropping reaches his level your razors will last for months also.

LOl! I'm sure his stropping skills are on a different level! We'll see how many comfortable shaves I can get out of this one razor without going back to the stone.

JF

Perhaps you should send the coticules back to me for safe keeping during these tests. That way you won't be tempted to end the trials early.

Thank you JF....:D And actually I think I would rather shave every day from HHT3 than 4/5. It will still do the job and be smoother shave in my opinion. I find the shaves after honing improve after after a few shaves and stroppings compared to the first one.

Oh no Scott, you are my friend but not agree. You can say that the next shaves remain same for a long time but not improved. Smoothness has nothing to do with keenness.Depends of the witch kind of honing performed.If you liked the razor's edge that i honed for you that's the magical
edge given by coticule and not by my hands.
Best regards
Emmanuel
Postscript. When fitting the scales on Gotta I'll picture it,thanking you publicly.

Yes Emmanuel but without the good hands the magical coticule edge does not stay.
Postscript. No thanks necessary my friend. Your happiness is enough.But I would love to see it I enjoy Gottas!

I had several razors honed on synthetic hones. I did not like their harshness. The honemeisters I tasked with honing them said, "they will improve over time - just shave with them a few times." And improve they did. Over time. Why anyone would care to bring razors to this level of sharpness (or, rather, harshness) escapes me. I have so far shaved with razors honed on Coticules by three people. Two were outstanding, one was OK. None of them needed breaking in, ie they either shaved well, or they did not quite. But they did not need to lose harshness to become usable.

Which brings me back to my theory that yes, high amounts of sharpness can be reached by using synthetic hones, but no, I really, really do not need that.

Back