ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hone width

Deckard

Been thinking in the new year of splashing out ang getting a decent size coti.
Have been a bit unsure of advantages or disadvantages of a wider hone say 3 inch or so.
I can appreciate that a narrow hone can be useful in some circumstances, particuarly warp or uneven bevels.
Using the dilucot method on a wide hone, can anyone think of any down side to this? Is there an ideal width using this method? Sorry if question has already been covered but would appreciate any opinions.

i have two 200x60mm and i still love that width. one thing is the weight as we or most hold and hone. i also like the size as it holds the slurry on the hone that bit better. 3" wide realy is a waste , i would say any thing from 40 to 60mm wide. 150 to 200 mm is great lenght

I followed Sir Ralfy's recommendation to me, and got a 175x50 mm, and I couldn't be happier with the size or the performance!

Hi Gary,
Both my bouts are 150 mm long.
One bout is 45mm wide.
The other is 50mm at thick end down to 40mm.
Don't know if I'm thinking about this correctly but it seems to me that the toe and heel have less time on the hone:-/ . Are there techniques or a particular type of stroke that evens things out a little.

Hi deck,
my la drassante au blue from steve is exactly the same same size bout.Infact i have been using it more just latley as i actauly love the size.the other thing with longer wider hones is , the longer the stroke i find its more chance of a unsteady stroke if your new or even had lots of practice. i like those shorter strokes on 6 inch hone it feels better in some ways. i don't think you would benifit from a new hone . unless you just want to try another layer in a differant size, i have and don't regret it , but if i'm onest i did'nt need those extra hones.

i newster think the same the heal and toe are not getting the time on hone. i found my heal and toe were somtimes not as sharp. that can be because your heal and toe is not making good contact. use black marker along bevel see whats happening. if the marker is left in those two areas , you will need to start heal down and finish toe raized to catch these areas. If they are contacting and there not quite there.In sharpness or hht is not as good in those areas.

this is what i do. when setting bevel, just work the heal more and the toe. make sure the whole edge is shaving some kind of body hair .do the dilucot using the corect stroke to get the whole edge . make sure you place the index finger on the areas that you think may fall behind , ie the heal and toe. watch barts video you will see what i mean, watch where he places is index finger. if the hht fails at toe only. raize a milky slurry. do dilucot in x pattern with half strokesjust lighly on the toe all the way , then finish the whole blade on water normal x pattern. do the same on heal if needed. so you would just work those areas. i did it last week and it worked and the shave was exallant.
gary

garyhaywood said:
Hi deck,
my la drassante au blue from steve is exactly the same same size bout.Infact i have been using it more just latley as i actauly love the size.the other thing with longer wider hones is , the longer the stroke i find its more chance of a unsteady stroke if your new or even had lots of practice. i like those shorter strokes on 6 inch hone it feels better in some ways. i don't think you would benifit from a new hone . unless you just want to try another layer in a differant size, i have and don't regret it , but if i'm onest i did'nt need those extra hones.

i newster think the same the heal and toe are not getting the time on hone. i found my heal and toe were somtimes not as sharp. that can be because your heal and toe is not making good contact. use black marker along bevel see whats happening. if the marker is left in those two areas , you will need to start heal down and finish toe raized to catch these areas. If they are contacting and there not quite there.In sharpness or hht is not as good in those areas.

this is what i do. when setting bevel, just work the heal more and the toe. make sure the whole edge is shaving some kind of body hair .do the dilucot using the corect stroke to get the whole edge . make sure you place the index finger on the areas that you think may fall behind , ie the heal and toe. watch barts video you will see what i mean, watch where he places is index finger. if the hht fails at toe only. raize a milky slurry. do dilucot in x pattern with half strokesjust lighly on the toe all the way , then finish the whole blade on water normal x pattern. do the same on heal if needed. so you would just work those areas. i did it last week and it worked and the shave was exallant.
gary

Cheers mate,
I'm quite new to this way of honing and still learning, so all these little tips are a gold mine to me. I gotta say I'm very impressed with some of the results I've been getting (eventualy). For the record my La Dresante was from Steve Dempster also, I find it quite a bit faster and softer than my La Grise.

yours will be faster than mine la drassante aue blue , but will feel nice and soft just like mine . i like the soft feel/ over the glassy feel.next year mate you'll have to pop down if your in notts and we will do some honing, in the meantime keep practising. i'm planning on on visiting ralfy , were hope fully going to do some videos on shaving how selfes , be nice if you could make it.
cheers gary

Yeah for sure mate, I'll definitley come over with my stones.
Just re watched Barts video, all is becoming clear.

Joe

Back