ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

I dont get it..

jfdupuis

For some reason, I seem to have more problems now than I had a few weeks ago. I tried just for fun to get my Red IMP 132 back to shave ready with the coticule. The razor is a slight wedge so I started with layers of tape and did raised a slurry until it shaved arm hair quite well. I then followed that by 17 dilutions. I thought the razor was getting there since it eventually had almost no resistance at all. I finished with 40 half strokes on water and then 100 on water only. Stropped and tried the HHT...nothing at all...I really don't understand why I can't have any consistency with my results..

JF

Jean-françois,

How many layers of tape did you use? Too many layers can start to act like a sort of cushion, which is detrimental for the outcome. I'd say three is a maximum. Another problem with tape on a wedge, is when the tape is too small and the razor starts riding on the rim of the tape instead of on a flat strip of tape. When that happens, the rim wears too fast, which almost continuously changes the bevel angle.

Another poblem with a wedge is that the wider bevel width demands much more steel removal to sharpen. Not only do you need to remove more steel, but also the pressure spreads out over a wider surface, which slows down the process even more.

If a wedge requires the application of tape anyway, I'll always use one layer less than needed, set the bevel at that angle, and next I'll add my final layer of tape and turn it into Unicot. Since Unicot deals always with a narrow secondary bevel, the razor will sharpen up rapdidly.
It has never failed me.

Kind regards,
Bart.

That is exactly how I both find things and they way I hone a wedge as well :thumbup:

More than 3 layers of tape spells trouble, and with a wedge you will find it is remarkably easier to perform a Unicot as opposed to a Dilucot, I have honed wedge's using a Dilucot and the extra work and time it takes is unbelievable.

Mmm Sir Bart have you been doing that Belgian Mind Meld on me again? lol

Best Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

thanks guys. Makes sense. I still want to use the dilucot method with my hollow ground razors as I find the resulting edge a bit more satisfying. I just honed up another one of my "practice" razor and got pretty decent results. I'm starting to think that my stones might be a bit on the slow side when it comes to polishing. I'm all out of tape so I think I'll run by my local hardware store this week and get the real deal, some 3M tape. The stuff I've been using is not bad, but I'm sure better quality tape would also help.

jfdupuis said:
thanks guys. Makes sense. I still want to use the dilucot method with my hollow ground razors as I find the resulting edge a bit more satisfying. I just honed up another one of my "practice" razor and got pretty decent results. I'm starting to think that my stones might be a bit on the slow side when it comes to polishing. I'm all out of tape so I think I'll run by my local hardware store this week and get the real deal, some 3M tape. The stuff I've been using is not bad, but I'm sure better quality tape would also help.
I don't think the brand of tape differs the results(I use tape from den aldi) but what does differs is the thickness of the tape so if you have e.g. a tape that is thinner it's possible that you need to apply an extra layer

regards
Stijn

That's a valid point Stijn, what I do is use the bevel angle calculator from our sharpening academy, when I am honing wedge grinds, if I am honing a hollow I don't believe It makes very much difference at all

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back