ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

ID Request

IsaacRN

I have a question that has been giving me quite a bit of thought. I admit that I am guilty of this same request. Why do people ask for coticule ID's. I can really only see a benefit of knowing what type of coticule you have in a possible resale. Perhaps my inexperience with coticules is blinding me as to the reason for knowing.

When I found out what type of rock my old coticule was, it didnt change a thing. I still hone and adapt to the stone and razors as I am able. I hope I am not being insensitive, but I truly do wonder why everyone wants to know what type of coticule they have.

People like to know what type they have, so they can get get the best out of it.
Especially when new to coticules.
My guess is they refer to the coticule vault for tips once having it ID'd.
Doesn't do any harm to get a bit of an head start.

Well it can help if the layer has spesific qualeties that people here already know about
Is there anything spesial about this layer, is there something i should try spesificly with this one

And then its the hoarding aspect what layer should i choose next to accompany this one

Isaac, you make a good point.

When I started doing the research for the Vault, I wondered about the difference I would find between the various hones. I perhaps had secret hopes to find that one magical Coticule that hones razors to a perfect edge, even if you only store it in the neighborhood of your razor collection. :rolleyes:
But the differences I found were mainly in speed on slurry, and slowness on water. That does have some influence on how they need to be used, notably for the Dilucot method. For Unicot, it doesn't seem to matter as much, although slow cutters on slurry do take longer to complete the bevel correction stage.
When used properly, the end results is almost impossible to quantify, and certainly less than difference attributed to the steel and grind of various razors.
In that sense, a Coticule is a Coticule, regardless the layer name.

But people like to try these things for themselves, hence I fully understand that when someone insists on buying a second Coticule, he wants another layer than what he already has.
And indeed: knowing the layer can give you a head start for getting the best out of a Coticule.

Kind regards,
Bart.

There's also the plain curiosity.

Once when I was very little, my older brother caught me taking apart the toaster to see how it works. My mom was worried about what my dad would say when he got home. I still have that curiosity about things...

I also understand the question....and both answers. It is especially frustrating not to know about vintage coticules. I have several and they are all wonderful and different in feel, but just as Bart says, the difference in finish is remarkably similar except for a stone I got from Chris, which is the mellowest finisher I have seen. All of the vintage stones I have used have a very buttery draw and are fast on slurry. If someone is having trouble producing an excellent edge, the properties of the stone/layer can give you hints to success. Sincerely, Denny

Hi Isaac,
I can second all that has been said already in terms of getting a head start in knowing a particular hone. But I would add another element.

Since we can identify different layers, and compare experiences with them, why shouldn't we? It's a general point, but your original question was also general... I have certain rocks, they behave in certain ways, it is just natural to share this information, and hope others also want to talk about it.

If I choose to sell a certain stone, then this information can be interesting in the instrumental way that has been mentioned. But generally, we just want to know more about what we interact with.

La Nouvelle veine, La Grise, La Verte, these are just names...they tell us no-thing...if these names give us a common point of reference to share experiences, well, I think we are having a conversation. Since we seem to care a bit too much about these razors' edges, this conversation tends to be rewarding...:rolleyes:

regards,
Torolf

I think the following is a great example of the benefits of knowing what kind of Coticule you have.
In this thread here... http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/1214.html Bart identified the first of the two as being a La Nouvelle Veine, which had me searching around the forum for more information which I found here...http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/message/15221.html

Now this hone was proving to be a bit of a mystery to me. It was fast with slurry, but I struggled no ends to get a decent finish on water only.
I couldn't understand why a fast cutter was struggling with just water.
I'm glad I asked as it seems a La Nouvelle Veine is a bit of a contradiction and with the advice given in that thread and a bit of perseverance, I can now look forward to some very nice mellow shaves. :thumbup:

I am just a knowledge whore in general.

I want to know as much as I can about everything I have. I have been, over the years, a member of probably 50+ forums, learning everything I can about whatever it is I needed info on. Trucks, motorcycles, guns, knives, razors, and anything else.

kg4ghn said:
I am just a knowledge whore in general.

I want to know as much as I can about everything I have. I have been, over the years, a member of probably 50+ forums, learning everything I can about whatever it is I needed info on. Trucks, motorcycles, guns, knives, razors, and anything else.
Motorcycles? Guns? Bring it on. (Ralfy, you Brits will have to watch and learn about guns. Don't want to argue with you about cycles, though:thumbup: )
p.s. Rereading that post, it sure sounds arrogant. You could easily know more about guns than I do, my English pal. Sorry, Denny

DJKELLY said:
p.s. Rereading that post, it sure sounds arrogant. You could easily know more about guns than I do, my English pal. Sorry, Denny

Oh no thats fine :cry:

besides we have ridiculous firearms laws, if we didnt I would carry a side arm in a heartbeat, oh if it wasn't for that little indiscretion last year, oh well only 4 years left....lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I wonder if there is a law for this already. Something along the lines of "put an American in an arbitrary social environment, and irrespective of the discussion topic, he will bring up guns". Just for the record, the idea of issuing guns to untrained civilians is atavistic.

Robin,

Just because it's not formal training always, doesn't mean there's no training. Almost all Americans are trained with respect to guns. Thanks to our founders, it's just a part of our culture. We grow up handling guns under the tutelage of others who did as well. But, to carry a concealed weapon, you have to have a permit.

Ironically, you guys partial have allied forces to thank for shaping your gun policy, but we "have the right to bear arms" built into our Bill of Rights...

The only arms I care to bear are the two dangling from my shoulders.

(Did I miss the gun training? I only hear about guns in regard to wars and misguided violence, really.)

BeBerlin said:
I wonder if there is a law for this already. Something along the lines of "put an American in an arbitrary social environment, and irrespective of the discussion topic, he will bring up guns". Just for the record, the idea of issuing guns to untrained civilians is atavistic.

richmondesi said:
Robin,

Just because it's not formal training always, doesn't mean there's no training. Almost all Americans are trained with respect to guns. Thanks to our founders, it's just a part of our culture. We grow up handling guns under the tutelage of others who did as well. But, to carry a concealed weapon, you have to have a permit.

Ironically, you guys partial have allied forces to thank for shaping your gun policy, but we "have the right to bear arms" built into our Bill of Rights...

I have been around guns since I was a little kid and learned about gun safety since way before I was allowed to handle one. I do have a permit to carry, called a "Georgia Weapons License" in my state. Also, nobody "issued" me anything, I researched, shot different guns, made a decision and purchased my firearms myself.

As for being atavistic, I don't have a problem with that. I have a lot of respect for some of the people in past generations, and a lot of the attitude that people had. Hell don't we all shave with 100 year old razors?

danjared said:

(Did I miss the gun training? I only hear about guns in regard to wars and misguided violence, really.)
I certainly have no problem with your preferences, hope you have none with mine. Sincerely, Denny

danjared said:

Apparently you did :)

danjared said:

I am certain you realize many people hunt and own weapons who have zero violent tendencies (towards humans anyway :D ), and I'm even more certain that you recognize the quote from the Bill of Rights.

Here's a picture of my house
23857_1271646873117_1288232622_30650334_4940864_n.jpg

just kidding...

That sign looks like it's pointing north.... way north.

Edit: I guess I should expand on my cryptic response....
I didn't mean to imply that I agreed with Paul's neighbor... merely that I resent not being ABLE to own one. Sure it's a peaceful society, but at the end of the day, I'd hate to rely on our corrupt national police force to have MY best interests in mind.

Guns--hum well I know how I feel heck my name tells that story as does my blog:
http://gunner777.wordpress.com

Back