ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

If i have a Coticule....

Diederik

If I have a Coticule, do I still need to have a pasted strop? Or is a Coticule with water just as good compared with leather and chromium oxide?

Please let me know your thoughts!

tat2Ralfy

Welcome
A Coticule with water will surpas a pasted strop everytime, not only will the shaves be nicer, also you won't end up rounding the bevel, meaning the time between full honing will be greater.

Best regards
And welcome again
Ralfson (Dr)

chti_lolo

I'm quite a beginner and only got my first hone (a coticule) 4 monthes ago so it's maybe a 1 cent advice.

When I use unicot , I never have to rely on crox.
With dilucot when I have a lesser day, I sometimes finish on balsa hone with crox, or when I have a problem in the finishing stage I give the edge 10 strokes on a balsa with crox then finish with X-strokes on water.
So I think it could be useful for a beginner

Regards

Laurent

jfdupuis

when you get your stroke and technique under control, you should be able to get excellent results using the coticule alone. I always found that pastes leave my face feeling a bit raw.

tat2Ralfy

chti_lolo said:
Please, Log in or Register to view quote content!

I believe the OP was referring to a hanging crox strop?, I have used a balsa one and then gone back to a Coticule, I do not believe it will work with a hanging strop, because of the convex bevel it will create

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Bart

In the beginning, the edges will benefit from pasted stropping, because they make for easy keenness, while a Coticule demands experience for achieving great keenness. Although the Unicot approach really makes it easy. But Dilucot and other approaches can be challenging. With growing competence, you'll notice that pasted stropping no longer improves the edge. And eventually, you'll reach a stage where pasted stropping makes it worse.

Kind regards,
Bart.