ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Interesting result

garyhaywood

before i type this post, i just like to say this not to prove this method works or not. It did for me and the shave was bang on.

I was honing a razor for my customer . I used my new 200x40 la patite blanche. I used the dilucot method and got a very nice result. the shave was fine, but there was somthing not wright at the very toe end. so i checked the toe and edge with my microscope. Low and behold there was a thew chips at the very toe end and one at the very heal. very care less but i spotted them. So i worked the chips out on my hone with a good slurry . the chips at the toe took a good 20 minutes . i only worked the very tip. I then worked the very heal and the chip was gone in five minutes.

then i decided to work the whole bevel with the same bevel setting slurry, to make sure the whole edge was nice and even. i then dryed and cleaned of slurry. I then checked the edge. I could see a perfect staright line. Before i went into dilucot, i thought i would check HHt. the medium to thick hair actauly caught the edge. I'd give it a violin if not less. then i thought i would try just clean hone with fresh water. i did 30 laps on water. there was a big jump in HHT. i then did some back and forth strokes on water with slight pressure. then i finished with 50 laps on water.

the HHT was a good catch and pop. I thought that is good enought for me. I then stropped as usaul linen/leather.

the HHT was as good as it gets a good 4 not five on fine hairs a 4 nearer to holding point.

The shave was bang on i just could beleive i'd gone from bevel setting slurry to water and got the same result.I just had to post.

cheers gary

just redulled another razor . Set the bevel in the normal manner. Which half strokes with normal pressure. the slurry was like coffe cream. I stopped checked hht and all was ok with a real thick hair. . Cleaned hone and finished with some 30 half stokes each way plus 50 laps on water with normal x strokes and hht was a 3 again. I hope some one else trys this . It would be intersting to see how it goes. I'm quite surprised up to now .

Gary

one was on la patite blanch. One razor tonight was on my les lat yellow side. i just used a cream slurry on both they are both fast coticules as you nio. i maid sure i was just shaving arm hair. then i performed hht with a thick coarse hair. If the razor show s signs of of gripping hair.then hit the hone with fresh water and just work on there . try and get the hht to a 3. then strop. try it let us no how it goes. Realy work the bevel on the slurry. I used slurry thickness of what i would set bevel with which is like coffe cream with may be a drop extra of water.do the half stroke s then finish on slurry with normlal x strokes. I no this sound s totaly the oposite to what we have been doing but it worked todyay and i got a great shave. I reckon it would work of my lv even better as i noticed i could shave arm ahir of desant slurry quite easily with the lv.I will try lv next
gary

Just tried this Gary, on my 200x50 La Petite Blanche.
Took my usual sacrificial razor, a 5/8 Effenbach and dulled the edge on glass.
Worked up a nice thick creamy slurry (thicker than I usually do) and worked the bevel with 3 sets of 20 half strokes, cleaned the blade and checked for the arm hair test.
It was cutting OK, but not as nice as I'd like, so did another set of 20 half strokes with a touch more water.
Rinsed the stone...30 half strokes each way...50 x strokes...HHT 3 all along the edge (except the heel area, which is the usual for me). And I haven't even stropped yet!
It usually takes me ages to get that kind of result of my LPB using multiple dilutions.

It was that quick I'm going to dull the edge and try and reproduce it on the Les Latneuses.
I'll let you know how I get on.

exactly what i thought. If the heal is a problem. What i did was worked the bevel with the hone on work top raized. I did some strokes in x formation, and real worked the heal and toe areas . i used my index finger to guide the blade up and down. then i continued with back and forth strokes holding the hone and then finished with athew normal x strokes. i concentrated on a real good bevel setting with good slurry all the way. the only reason i would add a drop of water is if i could not shave arm hair. then i would add some more water some more x strokes. then the arm hair shave would pas. It seems to workwith more slurry. I tryed with milky thin slurry and for some reason it was not as efective.keep at it and let us no how it goes.

gary

Repeated the same process on the Les Latneuses.
Despite this being my favourite stone (in that I'm used to it more than the others) the results weren't as good.
Or rather, not as straight forward as before.
I suspect the bevel wasn't as well set as the last time and had to go back and do a little extra work with light slurry after the water only stage.
Even so, the final result took a lot less time than usual.
I'll shave with it tomorrow...

Ok, I'm really too hazy to try it right now, but this sounds like a revolt! :D

It'll work on some Coticules and not on others. Depends on slurry dulling, and on the speed on water, both properties that seem independent.

It surprises me that you got it to work on a La Petite Blanche. They are typically high on slurry dulling.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Nice work Gary.
I've had kinda similar results in the past with my LL, but i attributed it to the fact that it is so blazing fast on water alone. I've taken to just kind of half-assed doing a dilution, and then compensating with extra work on water on my LL. I'm nowhere near familiar enough yet with my LPB to be sure that it will work as well for me as it seems to for you. I'll give it a go, but probably not until tomorrow.

Edit: mistyped- I meant my Les Latnueses, not the Le Verte.

yes it will depend on your coticule. i just tryed on my la drassante au blue. With extra work on water i managed a nice suttle 3 HHt straight of slurry i managed a 3 on a thick coarse hair. Not sure how the shave will be .In will test the last two razors and get back.

gary

i just shaved of les lat yellow side. the shave was on a 20 hour growth. Wtg axtg and agtg.

the shave was as good as any dilucot i have performed. the shave was smooth as it gets for me. very forgiving edge. Of this particular razor i have had blistering hht in the rgion of 5's. I would ay the hht was a 4 on medium hair stroke 3/4 on ultra fine hair not far from holding point pritty close to holding point to onest. i find if i pass on 4 with a medium hair the shaves are normaly forgiving and smooth.

gary

This morning's shave off the yellow side of the Les Lat was as good any previously. Close and smooth.
Same 3 passes as you. WTG, XTG & ATG.

When I did the 30 half strokes on water, I was seeing some darkening on both the hones. Same for you Gary?

yes especialy my la drassante. I used 30 back and forth strokes on water moving my finger at differant points of the razor to even pressure. I noticed a slight swarf. i repeated this several times well twice and finished with the normal x pattern. the other reason i tryed this method . Is because i spend a lot of time on water , reason being trying to get the max HHt. It does work . So i reckon you could set bevel on creamy slurry. realy work the bevel may to much . then ajust your slurry and work some more. then check see if you can just catch and pop a thick corse hair. I could every time. then work with some nice x strokes . then go to water and work on water till the max. using ptessure half strokes etc. Both the shaves i had of two differant hones and two differant razors have been as good as any dilucot i have done up to now. I no slurry has a dulling efect. I also no water only sharpens the edge. It just depends if on water you can get where you need to be . I don't think you will be far of if you don't make it. some more work on a nother slurry followed by water should get you there.

Did you notice the HHt was a more suttle pop rather than a more agressive pop. the hair just gently passed for me on a medium hair i got anice pop?

i think its worth trying.If its not working for some reason you can just go back and dilute or do a unicot edge or even finish with sharpening paste. me my self find the whole objective to shave of my coticule and its a great feeling when you can.

gary

Gary .My father was honing by this way but only with his Escher ,never with coticule. Before try i need a clarification. If you start with a creamy slurry after some strokes slurry becomes thicker and thicker until sticky.Do you keep it adding water as was in the first condition? I can understand what happens with your method and is normal . Garnets are castrated by the permanent usage becoming dulled and dulled giving a smoother edge.
Looking forard to your reply.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Emmanuel, I can't speak for Gary, but you're correct about the slurry getting thicker with strokes.
I added a little water until the edge shaved arm hair. It didn't take much, maybe 2 drops just to thin the slurry enough to prevent it from drying out. Once at the very beginning and again in between the half strokes, just to keep it wet.
Jumping from the thicker slurry to just water only on my LPB and Les Lat was a leap of faith.
The half strokes on water only obviously removes steel.
And followed up with the finishing x strokes seem to be enough on these particular stones.
I'm trying the La Veinette tonight. I suspect the result to be the same.

just as rictic did i did also .just the slurry needs to at right consistancy to be able to shave arm hair. As rictic say it is a leap of faith from slurry to water.

Thanks. I'keep you informed to night using three difference coticules.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Gary . I tested my La Dressante and my best result was HHT2. With my old rock the HHT was 3. With my old rock too ,full slurry in BBW side and jumping at yellow side with 80 laps on water i had the best result HHT4. The test performed by the same razor (Amor).
Best regards.
Emmanuel

Back