ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Joseph Elliot (Best silver Steel) wedge restauration

king

Before restauration work:

0001155529_l_0_bh5059.jpg

Scales made from African Blackwood:

0001155530_l_0_rpv30t.jpg

Blade after polishing with Fromax Greaseless 80-120-180-320-400-600, also pin hole reduction from almost 4 mm to 1,6 mm can be visible:

0001155526_l_0_kingsx.jpg

0001155527_l_0_2e0hmv.jpg

Wedge grind:

0001155533_l_0_1jktk1.jpg

Blade mounted on scales with adjustable pins and before final polishing with Dico compounds (on it's way to me):

0001155534_l_0_eeohnz.jpg

Note: the photos are different because in meantime I made little home photo studio :)

A very nice silky polish,hope you wont give it a mirror polish:w00t:
Great looking scales. The original bone scales were not restorable ?

Regards
Torbs

torbenbp said:
A very nice silky polish,hope you wont give it a mirror polish:w00t:

Regards
Torbs

Yes this is nice silky polish and I have hard time thinking if I will mirror polish it or not :confused:
Original scales was not bone ones. They were horn ones and I did polishing job but after that they become transparent yelowish (as an old combs were made) and I did not like them at all so I decide to make new ones with same shape. This razor I plan to keep for myself so it is not so important to keep original scales up.

decraew said:
Nice job!
Don't throw away the old scales by the way, they may come in handy.

Sure.
Btw. old scales was in excellent condition without nicks and cracks, not warped also. They just need little bit polishing.

decraew said:
Nice job!
Don't throw away the old scales by the way, they may come in handy.
Amen to that,
Almost all the scales after ~1830-1840 were commonly dyed with aniline dye which allowed the use of cheaper cattle horn rather than the greatly more expensive imported Water Buffalo horn. So yours are not unusual. That also can date a razor to decades before and after. History of:

I am looking for a source of that Amber horn in the United States because I really like its look on certain razors.
Respectfully
~Richard

torbenbp:A very nice silky polish,hope you wont give it a mirror polish

Regards
Torbs

Ohhh,actually I did mean _horn_ scales,my bad.
Yes,they do tend to get a yellowish/semitransparant look.

Thanks
Torbs

tat2Ralfy said:
Thats very nice work indeed Teo :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Thx.
Little bit off topic but you did great job with "Solingen" honing.

Back