ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

La nouvelle veine

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

I have a nouvelle veine, but I don't really know how to approch dilucot with it. It's really quick and goes black in a matter of seconds. Should I add more water or less or? I'm sure other people with the same veine can help out!

THanks guys!

JF

You should start off just like you would with any other stone, but because they tend to be slower on water only, you should increase your strokes the futher along the dilution phase you get.

The one I evaluated was able to get fantastic results, but it made me earn it by completely altering my approach.

Of course, Unicot is much easier to get good results one.

Good luck

thanks! I've also heard that I should start with fairly thin slurry even during the bevel setting stage.

well just did a 6/8 hollow ground on the la nouvelle veine. The HHT after water was not bad with thicker hair. I then followed that with about 100 passes with hard soap. After stropping, the razor is now a solid HHT-4. Can't wait to test it out. This is very encouraging. Now if my linen component from Norway could show up this week :p

Well I just shaved with the razor and got a very nice comfortable 2 pass shave. I didn't think my la nouvelle veine was capable of doing a full honing session. A few more passes is definitely needed, but it sure leaves a nice edge.

In my experience, Coticules of the La Nouvelle Veine layer leave a mellow edge. In absence of La Grosse Blanche, it's what I would recommend to someone with sensitive skin.

Well done. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Well I'm a little confused now...I shaved with the razor again this morning and got a less than pleasant shave with it. The HHT went down quite significantly to almost HHT-1. The only new element in my routine was a new linen component to replace the stiff kanayama one. I typically use a cheap 2 inch Vintage Blade web fabric to strop followed by the kanayama leather. This time I used my new linen followed by leather...

Hi,

Did you check the HHT after shaving and before stropping this time?

regards,
Torolf

It's really strange...Before I shaved with the razor yesterday, it was giving me a nice HHT-4. The shave was very comfortable as well. A few hours later when I came home for lunch, I again checked the HHT and it was almost non-existent. When I got the new linen strop last night, I thought I would test it out and see if the HHT changed. I got a slight improvement, but nothing really significant. It's almost like the razor had a good edge, but not developed enough to last more than one shave. Before people start commenting about stropping issues, I'll say with 100% certainty that I did not roll the edge or anything like that. I've been stropping for quite a while and I know what I'm doing in that department.

Hi Jean-Francois--I have been checking the bevel angle lately because of a serious micro-chipping problem on a razor with a worn spine. Even razors without wear can have shallow bevel angles that make them prone to chipping. I don't know your razor, but that is the first thought that comes to mind. Actually the second. I would go back to trusted strop. I am amazed how well you can recover an edge with stropping. Remember Bart's experiment with the razor dulled on glass? TA, Denis

Hi,

I mentioned the HHT check since I often find a shave does a real number on a blade,keeness-wise. If this happens, it is not always that I can get to the same level I was before the shave by just stropping...sometimes, but for me it is a patience issue...

I would never imply one's stopping was damaging an edge. I tend to believe, like others here, that this is a myth.

But I can say that I have good results with stropping pressure. If I feel that (especially with this wool) I want more improvement than I am getting, I add a little pressure or slack up on the strop a little. Or both.

In its fresh state, this wool may be making less surface contact than the linen you are used to. I believe Urmas was thinking the same thing. Breaking in with use and, maybe a bit more pressure should help out.

regards,
Torolf

thanks! the razor is a fairly used 6/8 sheffield hollow ground razor. It was honed with two layers of electric tape.

JF

thank you my friend! Wicked shipping time by the way! From Norway to my front door in 4 business days! Can't beat that!
I will try with a bit more pressure. I usually strop on linen with a fair bit of pressure. Your strop fits perfectly with the Kanayama. I'll definitely have to get one of your complete strop next time :):thumbup:

Still no success. I went home for lunch and gave it a few more passes on the linen with a bit more pressure. I got a nice HHT-0. I then took it to my vintage blade webbed fabric one and did about 40 passes. The razor jumped up to about HHT-2 or 3.

Thinking it was probably just the razor, I took my H. Diamond to the linen and managed to move it from a HHT-4 to about HHT-1 or less. I'm very confused with the results I'm getting with this...

If you have a microscope with 25X or 40X I would put it to use. It can give you a definite answer if the edge is chipped or not. I make it a habit to check under the scope before I hone anything just to give me an idea of the condition of the whole edge. Is the edge the same keenness along its whole length? Which strop did you try last that dropped your hht? I might even place the strop flat on a thick newspaper to allow a little give and do some slow, perfect laps on that. You might think of heating the blade and strop with a hair dryer first as heat is really one of the factors that make stropping work on the very edge. I think stropping is said to create a couple hundred degrees for a very little time to treat and work harden the edge. If you have a balsa Crox hone/strop you might cheat with it like Ralfy does.:D

Then again, if it was me, I would go back to the hone after checking under the microscope and give it a quick touch up ala Gary, or do a complete rehoning. I hate when that happens, JF. Good luck, Denny

Very curious reaction to the my new wool strop. I have to stop stropping on it for now, I'm running out of shave ready razors! lol

Hi,
I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the strop. I tested it before I sent it out...

I use mine almost exclusively, and always after honing. I'll send you an email, Jean-francois.

regards,
Torolf

No biggie my friend! Your strop is an absolute delight to look at and strop on. I have to do a bit further testing on it before I rule it out.

JF

Yes, please do. Just to double check my own impression, I took a Joseph Elliot I was testing a hone with and did 60 laps on the wool, sort of medium pull and medium pressure. It jumped a good two points...

The only difference between what I am using and what you have is a few thousand laps...and that could make for a difference...

In any case, my offer stands.

regards,
Torolf

Back