ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

New coticule came today!

mrmaroon

I ordered my first non-vintage coticule and it arrived today! It is a no9 bout les latneuses. I will have to take some pictures soon because it looks so great. It is a pink color with swirls of yellow in places. It also has a tiny little black dot. The shape is a coffin with one rounded side. I would say it is about 7 inches long with 1.5 inch average width.

The speed on this thing with slurry is phenomenal. On water it is still fast, about on par with my vintage coti, but without the sandpaper feel. I have tested the hybrid side and it works excellent on chef knives. It is hard enough to stand up to more pressure.

Im going to keep testing it out. I will add some pictures soon!
Mrmaroon

Bart, Ive got a question about the hybrid side. why is it called hybrid? Doesn't that mean that it is a combination of two or more types of hone? If so, what other type is in hybridism with the coti?

mrmaroon said:
Bart, Ive got a question about the hybrid side. why is it called hybrid? Doesn't that mean that it is a combination of two or more types of hone? If so, what other type is in hybridism with the coti?

Maybe it's not the best choice of word. When I first started playing with the unusual, and "unusable" considered side of the naturally bonded Les Latneuses, it appeared to me like BBW and Coticule mixed and fused together. Maybe it wasn't entirely accurate, but I didn't put too much thought in it, because I was mainly focused on the creamy side, that I love for the feedback it provides. The first one that I ever tested, Smythes n°19, I didn't even perform a finishing test on the hybrid side, because I considered it more as a special kind of BBW, than a special kind of Coticule. Later on, I did finish a razor on one of the Hybrid sides of the Les Latneuses and noticed they shaved very well. But it was Gary Haywood to truly recognize the splendor of the edges finished on the backside of Les Latneuses. I was too preoccupied with their creamy side and too busy to really pick it up.
In short, we started with a weird blue that was hastily named "hybrid" and ended up with a top notch finisher. Maybe it is mixed with blue after all. Let's see how the OTB razors shave your face...:) Maybe the BBW is kinda underestimated?

Kind regards,
Bart.

Tomorrow is the day when the magic happens! My proraso, castle forbes, taylors, vulfix brush, and DR Harris aftershave milk arrive friday.

Thanks for the info!
Mrmaroon

Just back after being away at a dear friends funeral and just saw your post.

Wow! What a lucky guy! I would really like to hear how you like the castle forbes. I have wanted to try it myself but has been out of reach. It would be great if you could post a review if you have a chance ?

Sounds like a great care package you have there, congrats
stew

i found hybrid side gave me a smoother sahve than the other side. Both sides give a good shave just normal side seemed crispier and hybrid side a little smoother. This can vary depending on how well you hone the razor. i'm running test on both sides and there not much in it. Just depends on what your face [prers. . i like soft and smooth not crispy and smooth.

Interesting gary. The slurry stone they gave me is about big enough to use as a hone itself. It is cut from the same rock as my hone it looks like. When you raise slurry on your hybrid what do you use? If I try and use the hybrid slurry stone I will have to work at it for 2-3 minutes. If I use my petite blanch bart sent me it is back and forth maybe 10-15 times. The hardness of it is unbelievable!

I couldn't be happier with this purchase, everytime I put a razor to it I get a rush the feedback is that great. It is also easy to dilocot on, maybe a little easier than barts veinette. I have to give ardennes props for hooking me up with this amazing piece of rock!

Dad has his camera, so when he gets back later tonight I will post some pictures of this beauty! I have named the shape of it the "fetal Coffin". It looks like a coffin they would make for someone in the fetal position!

Cheers,
Mrmaroon

I have to rub it real hard to raize slurry the hybrid side is harder its like marbel. the slurry has a differant colour instead of creamy milk it looks kind of a hint of grey only slight.

the feed back is also kind of magnetic, I also get a little tremmer towards the end of the stroke only going one way this only happens after several back and forth strokes. all in all the edges fine. My hone is quite long .reaches keeness easier than most i have used.

the normal side cuts very fast i found keeping plenty of water on the hone with slurry helps reach keeness, also keeping slurry on hone and not pushing it of ,so i'm keeping my slurry diluted well but also not loosing the slurry.This way i feel the edge is still dilling in not but being pushed through heavy slurry if you understand what i mean. so basicly i'm adding just double the water i would normaly add which is two good drops of my finger tip, or one good drop after the first 15 back and forth strokes.

Stewart said:

Wow! What a lucky guy! I would really like to hear how you like the castle forbes. I have wanted to try it myself but has been out of reach. It would be great if you could post a review if you have a chance ?

Sounds like a great care package you have there, congrats
stew

Ive tested all three and their lathering capacities. I also did a full shave with the forbes and taylors.

Castle Forbes: I bought the travel size for 35 dollars. This thing is very small, probably enough to last 2-3 months with the rate I use. I found that it didn't lather up to my expectations. It is a very hard cream, I wanted to just lather in the bowl, but it is to small and all the soap goes out the sides. If you take a dollop and put it in the brush or bowl you really have to work it to make it dissolve. After all that work it isn't a very creamy lather, but it does provide a lot of lubricity. The scent is where this stuff really shines. It smells very strongly of fresh lime juice! The odor sticks for a couple of hours too. This cream is advertised for skin prone to niks and cuts. I beleive this to be true. The lime in it burns a little and if you cut yourself it acts like a mild styptic. It burns a little when you go for the second/third passes. I doubt I will buy this again although I will try the lavender.

taylors Sandalwood: This stuff EXPLODES with creamy rich lather. It makes super thich richness with a lot of cushion. It's a little drier than the castle forbes though, it helps to wet your face well before. The scent is kind of artificial and smells like an old cedar closet. I can see an older male using this one.

Conk bay rum Soap: This is a cake soap and as far as mug soaps go I like this better than van Der Hagen, or Williams. The bay rum scent is very subtle. It doesn't provide as much lather as either of the creams, but does provide a lot of lubricity. More than the other two. Probably from the glycerine.

I also bought a vulfix brush, I forget the model it was 60 dollars. I previously used a boar brush from wal mart and never thought that the brush could make that much difference. Boy was I wrong! This baby makes lather like crazy and always leaves enough for probably 6 passes. It feels great on the face!

Dr Harris Shave Milk: I bought this because I ran out of CO Bigelow Black elixer aftershave. This stuff has a nice subtle scent and really feels great on the face. It doesn't sting at all and moisturizes my face very well. I bought the original scent, they also make it in arlington. I bought the smallest bottle for 30 dollars. I can see this lasting 8-10 months, so not a bad purchase! I will definitly buy again.

Thayers WitchHazel Lemon: This stuff I use immediatly after the shave. It has a great scent of lemon and doesn't burn the face at all. My only qualm with it is that if your face is wet it builds a very thin lather if you rub it in. For 7 dollars and change you get a LOT of it. I will keep this on hand as well.

Hope you enjoyed the reviews,
Mrmaroon

garyhaywood said:
I have to rub it real hard to raize slurry the hybrid side is harder its like marbel. the slurry has a differant colour instead of creamy milk it looks kind of a hint of grey only slight.

the feed back is also kind of magnetic, I also get a little tremmer towards the end of the stroke only going one way this only happens after several back and forth strokes. all in all the edges fine. My hone is quite long .reaches keeness easier than most i have used.

the normal side cuts very fast i found keeping plenty of water on the hone with slurry helps reach keeness, also keeping slurry on hone and not pushing it of ,so i'm keeping my slurry diluted well but also not loosing the slurry.This way i feel the edge is still dilling in not but being pushed through heavy slurry if you understand what i mean. so basicly i'm adding just double the water i would normaly add which is two good drops of my finger tip, or one good drop after the first 15 back and forth strokes.

The hyrbrid side is definitly a great tool to have. I have noticed that if my razor doesn't undercut a fine film of water on the coti side, the hybrid side has so much draw and magnetism that it scoops up ANY water on the hone! It is a great feeling hone to use.

Stewart said:

That really is sad news, Stewart. I hope your friend led a spiritually rich, if not fulfilled life, that inspired those who crossed his path. This I hope, because I know his loved ones will find comfort to know that someone can live on in the example he was for others. Please accept my condolences.

mrmaroon said:
The hyrbrid side is definitly a great tool to have. I have noticed that if my razor doesn't undercut a fine film of water on the coti side, the hybrid side has so much draw and magnetism that it scoops up ANY water on the hone! It is a great feeling hone to use.

It's good to here, I'm not the only one with a weak spot for Les Latneuses.:)

Kind regards,
Bart.

lat3.jpg

lat4.jpg

lat5.jpg

lat.jpg

Gary, I took 5 min today and raised an actual full slurry on hybrid side. I don't know how yours acts, but my hybrid side seemed faster than my reg side:confused: It got dark slurry FAST. I did an updated dilocot. It was easier to reach keeness with the hybrid side than with regular side for me. Granted it was only one razor, it needs further testing. I just love how it grabs that razor and holds it to the hone! If only slurry generation was easier... Raising a slurry with a non hybrid stone didn't net the same results vs using hybrid slurry stone.

Check out the pics! You guys think it looks like a fetal coffin too? Maybe more like a footprint..:love:

EDIT: Also, do you owners of Les lats that use a hybrid slurry scratch up your hone when you rub it? Mine has scratch marks all over, the only other hone I have that does this is a Black arkansas. These hones actually act very similar in all aspects IMO.

Bart said:
It's good to here, I'm not the only one with a weak spot for Les Latneuses.:)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Me Too! They Rock...lol

And Stew, My thoughts and love are with you and yours my friend
Best regards
Ralfson

Bart said:
Later on, I did finish a razor on one of the Hybrid sides of the Les Latneuses and noticed they shaved very well. But it was Gary Haywood to truly recognize the splendor of the edges finished on the backside of Les Latneuses. I was too preoccupied with their creamy side and too busy to really pick it up.

I must agree, and TBH I neglected the err "other" side of mine until just recently, after a few goes and a little trial and error, I have found that it works very very well for me, not that much slower than the creamy side, but the finish is absolutely top notch IMVHO

I love it
Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

mrmaroon said:
Gary, I took 5 min today and raised an actual full slurry on hybrid side. I don't know how yours acts, but my hybrid side seemed faster than my reg side:confused: It got dark slurry FAST. I did an updated dilocot. It was easier to reach keeness with the hybrid side than with regular side for me. Granted it was only one razor, it needs further testing. I just love how it grabs that razor and holds it to the hone! If only slurry generation was easier... Raising a slurry with a non hybrid stone didn't net the same results vs using hybrid slurry stone.

Check out the pics! You guys think it looks like a fetal coffin too? Maybe more like a footprint..:love:

EDIT: Also, do you owners of Les lats that use a hybrid slurry scratch up your hone when you rub it? Mine has scratch marks all over, the only other hone I have that does this is a Black arkansas. These hones actually act very similar in all aspects IMO.

yes my hybrid side does take a little harder rubbing to raize a slurry and it is fairly quik cutter, and keeness is easier to reach than creamy side. i also noticed i scratched my hybrid side . i turned my slate on to hybrid thats why i think i have a couple of scratches. Yours sounds harder than mine. The reason i decided to use hybrid side , was it is by far the thickest . i did not want to wear down my normal side.

have you tryed using a smaller slurry stone i find the biger slurry stones are harder t generate slurry , smaller ones seem easier.

tat2Ralfy said:
Bart said:
Later on, I did finish a razor on one of the Hybrid sides of the Les Latneuses and noticed they shaved very well. But it was Gary Haywood to truly recognize the splendor of the edges finished on the backside of Les Latneuses. I was too preoccupied with their creamy side and too busy to really pick it up.

I must agree, and TBH I neglected the err "other" side of mine until just recently, after a few goes and a little trial and error, I have found that it works very very well for me, not that much slower than the creamy side, but the finish is absolutely top notch IMVHO

I love it
Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

i found hybrid side to leave a smoother finish and it is like you say not much slower than normla side infact quite quik. the slurry on mine the a little greyish rather than creamy.

Mine is grayish as well. I would use a smaller slurry if I had it, the one they gave me is big enough to use as a finish hone. I don't want to cut it up just yet.

Bart, you mentioned a La Grise being close in performance to the hybrid side. Are they harder than any other type? This hybrid side is so much different, but yet so close to an actual coticule. I want to say it isn't a coti, but the edges tell me otherwise.

Also, have you noticed any relation in the color of the les lat coti side to performance? When viewing the vault it seems like there are pinker ones and creamy lined ones. Mine is a mix of both on the surface. It looks like if I wear it down 2-3mm I will be in a cream color rock with no pink.

I am afraid of scratching the surface to much. In my experience with hones this hard, surface finish does play a role in the overall end result. Especially with an Arkansas and to some extent a peoples hone of indeterminate grit and barber hones. I re-lapped all the scratches out of it. I think I am going to use a diamond card on it from now on. With 2k grit sandpaper this baby shines like a marble countertop!

I am still so amazed by this guy! When I first raise a slurry and make that first stroke I get a little rush from the amazing feedback.

Regards,
Mrmaroon

Back