ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

oil damaged hone, what to do?

peribeca

:confused: just picked up an unknown green smooth as glass stone........has been used with oil and cannot get a slurry going when using my synthetic Japanese slurry stone....lapping:O nothing :( am very inexperienced and have only used oilstones/arkansas over the years BUT what I have seen with coticles is awesome; till I can purchase a coticle could this green stone be repaired to go back from oil to water?..it is a lovely stone and have tried to post pics BUT just can't seem to get them to download here.........thanks in advance for any advice to an ignoramus,
Lou
end before lapping <brown>
Photo%2014-11-11%2018%2045%2020.jpg

Photo%2014-11-11%2018%2045%2021%20%281%29.jpg

end after lapping..now grey/green like rest
Photo%2014-11-11%2018%2045%2021.jpg

Photo%2014-11-11%2018%2045%2022%20%281%29.jpg

Photo%2014-11-11%2018%2045%2022%20%282%29.jpg

Photo%2014-11-11%2018%2045%2022%20%283%29.jpg

hi - difficult to say without pics or seeing it. I could only suggest that the slurry stone I would use would be a coticle or BBW stone as they are none porous

I had a coticule that someone had used oil on - a few mins with the appropriate slurry stone cut through any residue

Have you anything you could lap the stone with?

have a 200 grit diamond pad for chisels; about 4x6 inches; wondering if I could hurt it further with this?.........thanks

garyhaywood said:
i think it would be ok, have you got any wet and dry san paper i use 400 to 600 grit, ihave read correct that its a gren coticule, sounds like it maybe a la verte?

i personaly use my dmt325, but wet and dry sand paper is perfect

Hi Lou.Sink the stone for a day or more in a liter of methyl alcohol.Then you have to apply a good lapping on a diamond plate or on a wet sandpaper 320 gr on a well flat surface as Gary advised.
You can produse slurry with a coticule slurry stone or a small diamond plate or a synthetic nagura or a sand paper stuck on a small metal block.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Gary; I don't think it is a coticule have been trying to post pictures but with out success; maybe I could email them to you to post here as am afraid this 60 + year old is lacking in computer knowledge for posting pictures:blush: of "Green Stone".............

Lou
IMG_0392%20green%20stone%201.jpg
IMG_0393%20green%20stone%202.jpg
IMG_0397green%20stone%203.jpg

You could try a regular kitchen cleaner with a degreaser like Mr Muscle etc, that what I have used in the past, failing that if you are sure it a natural stone, pop it through the dishwasher on a quick wash setting if you have one

All that said, a good lapping with a diamond plate and hot soapy water works wonders too

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

much better after using the 200 grit pad that is now worn smooth + lots of hot water + detergent <thanks all:)> can get a slurry going at least and some good steel particle removal; used the slurry formed with the diamond pad and it turned from a whitish color to a dark grey while using the stone :)............when I figure out how to download pictures here will post them to try to get an identification........Lou

peribeca said:
Gary; I don't think it is a coticule have been trying to post pictures but with out success; maybe I could email them to you to post here as am afraid this 60 + year old is lacking in computer knowledge for posting pictures:blush: of "Green Stone".............

post apicture to my email gary.haywood4@btinternet.com side veiw and bottom , top

Lou
IMG_0392%20green%20stone%201.jpg
IMG_0393%20green%20stone%202.jpg
IMG_0397green%20stone%203.jpg

I have to say i realy don't infact i would say that is not a oticule, looks like a thury or somthing else natural?

gary

Gary; yes, it is Natural; see the pix of the ends before lapping was a dark brown and after lapping it turned grey green:confused:

Lou

Alex can you send pictures to me please? I advised to sink the stone in the methyl alcohol but you didnt reply.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I've update the first post in this thread with pictures that Lou sent to me on e-mail.

I don't know what type of hone this is.

kind regards,
Bart.

Mmm apart from the one with the brown end, it looks exactly like one I have, I never have quite indentified it, for sure it is a natural, and if it is the same as mine, I believe it is one of the Welsh slates, something like a Llyn Idwall.

Mines a nice finisher on water, although it leaves the edge a little crispy for my liking

79016161.jpg

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Emmanuel; sorry about not replying to your suggestion regarding alcohol at the appropiate time but was busy lapping away till my little diamond plate was worn smooth:( need to get another and go at lapping it some more as I still get some oil on the water when it sits on the surface for a while....thanks for the appreciated advice ....cheers;
Lou

Doc. the color appears the same as yours.....the brown end was before lapping; after, it turned grey/green like the example you posted:confused: I was thinking that it would turn brown after lapping and that the grey/green color was some kind of coating.....such is my ignorance...; this to me is very unusual to have a stone turn from a chocolate brown to grey green:confused: has to be something unusual.....well time to do more investigating.......thanks to all for the help in identification; cheers,
Lou

peribeca said:
Emmanuel; sorry about not replying to your suggestion regarding alcohol at the appropiate time but was busy lapping away till my little diamond plate was worn smooth:( need to get another and go at lapping it some more as I still get some oil on the water when it sits on the surface for a while....thanks for the appreciated advice ....cheers;
Lou

Lou sorry i call you Alex.Alcohol is very thin and a great solvent for grease. I haven't idea what your hone is. I can guarantee isn't a cretan hone or a thuringian.if by putting water not tends to make bead the surface is degreased.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Back