ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

RAZOR TESTING

DJKELLY

Bart, if you have the time could you elucidate how you create a "slightly dulling" edge that you then test with a coticule to reclaim it. Direct me if you have already posted this, but I can't seem to find it. I would like to duplicate your efforts. Please feel free to expand to your complete tests with a new stone. I know most of it is experience gained with many, many stones, but it is very interesting to me. Later, Dennis

Matt

Interesting idea. I assume that you simply need a number shaves to slightly dull your straight. :) But I haven't ever thought of creating it on purpose - maybe a few slices through a sheet of paper will do the trick? I wonder if Bart has had any particular procedure for that :)

cheers,
Matt

DJKELLY

I don't think downstroking on glass is "slightly" dulling, but may be wrong. I can't imagine recoving an edge from that method with 60 laps on water. Later, Dennis

rayman

When you perform the dulling, remember to use no more pressure than the weight of the blade. Hold the razor by the wedge end of the scales when doing this. If it doesn't completely dull the first time, do it again until it does.

Ray

Bart

DJKELLY said:
Please, Log in or Register to view quote content!

I lack the time to fully elaborate on the test procedures for Coticule, right now. I have recently shared that information on Bandger&Blade:
Please, Log in or Register to view quote content!

A downstroke on glass is indeed how I "predull" an edge. After that, it doesn't shave any arm hair any longer.

Another method I have recently used to mimic a slight dulling from several shaves, without actually doing those shaves, is to slice into a sheet of paper. I use plain 80g/m² paper for offset printing. Slicing a 30cm cut into such paper, slowly draggin it through from heel to toe, mimics a couple of shaves. I used this method for testing touch-up procedures, next to real shaves dulling that obviously takes much longer, because I only have one beard.:)

Kind regards,
Bart.