ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Rocnel

Snuff

Murat from Turkey makes some of the most heavy razors you will find. There are more then I mention here but I only put those up that I owned.

Rocnel Sailor 2020

Rocnel sailor 2020.jpg

Rocnel Gap Measurements (stand 1 tot 10):

Dot .90
M 1.10
M+ 1.30
M/A 1.55
A 1.75
A+ 2.05
Dot 2.13

Other Rocnel razors I owned are:

Rocnel Sailor (Gold Ring) Gen 1 (only 10 made)

A - 10.jpg

Rocnel Elite 2018

LbXgaCT.jpg

Rocnel Elite 2019 in both medium and aggressive version

TdUP2P6.jpg

They are remarkable razors indeed, thanks for sharing. My favorite is the 1st gen Sailor with the gold ring. I heard it is a pretty aggressive shaver?

Reactions: ehv
Yes it is, I was a bit disappointed in the fact that when disassembling the springs could fly across the room. The newer model doesn’t have that anymore and shaves completely different

Reactions: ehv
They are remarkable razors indeed, thanks for sharing. My favorite is the 1st gen Sailor with the gold ring. I heard it is a pretty aggressive shaver?
I believe that there were only 10 made with the brass ring. I have a 2nd gen which is apparently the same as the first gen but no brass ring and it is the least aggressive Sailor, the 2019 is the most and the 2020 model lies between them. I personally still think that the 2nd gen is still the best looking Sailor, but then my preference is shorter handles.

BTW - On the brass rings, they tend to patina and I then struggle to read the numbers and given a choice, I would choose without it.

I never got the 2nd gen :confused:

I read some reviews for this razor from people who's opinion I hold in high regard (they seem to have a similar taste in razors) and decided to contact Murat for a order. Had to wait a week or two as they where being assembled at that moment. Very good communication with the maker I must say.

Took less then 48 hours from Turkey to Belgium. Beautiful package, best I have seen so far. I owned the Sailor gold ring first gen but this is certainly a big improvement.

Until now never found a adjustable that I really liked a lot and I've tried many. Visually it's a jewel (although a lot of my shaving friends find it over the top and ugly because of it's massiveness and weight).

The balance is good (much better than a Pils for instance), it's heavy and massive but I had no problem in areas like under the nose and such. Started at stand 1 and upped that every next shave, I kept the stand the same during the whole 3 pass shave during the test phase.

Since I've gone thru all stands up to twice around the dot, for me all stands are useable although for me personally stands 2 up to 6 will be the most used. Still experimenting what gives the best result, going up thru the settings after each pass or going down.

Only once did I draw a little bit of blood on stand 8, with the big opening the corner of the Feather blade hooked my earlobe a bit.

The Sailor 2020 will get a place among my favourite razors (Paradigm, Raw shaving, Blackland, ....). Like several others I would love a Titanium version. The high price is already forgotten because the pleasure I get out of it.

There are some video's with shaves from the Rocnel Sailor 2021 on YouTube (John shaves) My experience is otherwise (not to say that his is not ok, it's very personal, just wanted to give my impressions, YMMV)

Out of curiosity I used a Kai blade for last nights shave and this morning shave. To my surprise it worked really well, got two very pleasant shaves (yesterday evening setting 5 and today setting 6). Not aggressive at all (for me that is).

Not to be seen as a negative comment, we all have or way of doing things but the difference in shaving ritual compared to the video's: I only work in the lather for a minute at the most (I know .... but this gives me better results then longer), angle is about the same but main difference is that within a pass I never ever go twice over the same spot (in the video I noticed that within one pass some areas where shaved like up to ten times in the same spot, again we all have or preferences but for me that would mean irritation no matter what razor or blade.)

Did a comparison between the 2020 and 2021 this morning, still prefer the 2020 but they are close. Have a nice shave!

IMG_4004.jpeg

Thanks for the review Ron, fabulous looking razor! How many passes do you usually shave?
Love the Cuero Oscuro btw, can only use it when shaving in the morning which doesn't happen that often with me, because the scent is strong and lasting and still very present when I go to bed.

Back