ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

rookie question

Dvde

Hi guys, I recently bought the 2 coticules below from Ardennes in order to learn honing. The regular one is a La Veinette 15x4cm, the second is a trapeze-shaped bout 13*5*5. My idea was to use the Veinette for full honing and use the irregular one for touch-ups and minor works. My main question is, what kind of stokes should I use on the trapezoid? x-strokes and half-x are possible but not optimal due to the irregular shape, could I try some kind of "arc-stroke" or there is any disadvantage to it? Does anybody have experience with similar shapes who can provide advise on how to best use it? In terms of colour, the trapezoid is a bit more pale of the Veinette, with a tendency to the grey.

e8dO7.jpg

I would just use regular X strokes. On the bouts I use, I've found it easier to hone with the heel of the razor closer to the longest side. It should work just fine. Enjoy your stones:)

If you use the long side of the trapezoid there is no reason you cannot hone on it like the 150x40. most razor have some smile to them so only some of razor on hone at any time.

For touch-ups the trapezoid hone is perfectly fine. As said, use it with the long side faced to the tang of the razor and act as if it was rectangular. For full honing, that will cause you to run the slurry off the surface with each stroke, but for touch-ups and finishing it doesn't matter, since you'll be using just water. I would make sure that the sides are very well rounded, because on the narrow ends it's easy to loose perfect contact, which could lead to the edge of the razor "biting" in the edge of the hone. If the hone's edges are properly rounded, that risk is ruled out.

Kind regards,
Bart.

thanks a lot everybody for the advice!!

Bart, yes, the sides seem to have been smoothened so it should not be an issue. Just another rookie question: for touch-ups, or just to restore a bit of keeness to the blade, I would use the last step of the unicote (30 laps on water only). Is it ok? Should I use the insulation tape every time or I can do it without?

If you used tape when the razor was honed then use tape to touch up, if no tape was used dont use any when touching up Simple :thumbup:

Best of luck with your honing adventure

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

On the trapezoid stone, I would start with 40 laps on water, at the earlies signs of edge deterioration, or even better (in my opinion) every 7 shaves, without giving it any further thought.

If the razor was finished with tape the first time, you need to reapply the tape for every touch-up. It's the only real (small) disadvantage of Unicot (or the use of tape to protect ornamental spines).

You can read more on the topic here: http://www.coticule.be/edge-maintenance.html

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back