ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

So what vein(s), layer(s) are those uniform looking pale yellow coticules sold by re

Bart

Uniform looking Coticules, of various layers. You can get any layer in select or standard grades.
"Select" is actually the norm. But if there's anything that might provoke a customer to feel treated unfairly, they call it "standard" and sell it at a lower price. Such issues are always cosmetic "defects". If a stone would have an abrasive defect, Ardennes will either throw it away, or trim off the affected part. It's one of the reasons they have these irregularly shaped "bouts". Cosmetic defects may be: voids near the glue line. Less thick Coticule part. Lines that the customer may suspect to be cracks. (there was a time that Coticules with black manganese lines were nearly always sold as "standard grade" because customers thought they were cracks and no one acknowledged the fact that black magnanese lines almost invariably predict plenty of speed).

Kind regards,
Bart.

pinklather

Thank You, Bart. The consistency of appearance, absence of features would have me think they were all one plentiful layer.

pinklather

Thank You, Bart. The consistency of appearance, absence of features would have me think they were all one plentiful layer. I was familiar w/ the 'select'/'std' distinction, but all of the 'select' ones looked like they were so similar - almost synthetic similar.