ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Something for Matt to look at

rayman

Matt,
Here are two sets of scales I am currently working on. The first is a set for a Wapi that has had its first finish coat applied. The second is for a Jowika and has a mother of pearl inlay. It isn't quite ready for sealer yet but I just thought I would get your thoughts on them before I get much further along.

Ray

wapi1.jpg

wapi2.jpg

inlay1.jpg

inlay2.jpg

Looking great Ray!

And I was just thinking about making a stand like yours, for holding the scales when applying the finish:thumbup:

Kindest regards
Torbs

Oh, wow, damn sweet! Mother of pearl inlay, that's a treat, wonderful... Does it say M for Matt, or are these two mountain tops..? :)

These look really, really good. :) What kinds of wood are these, Ray?

kind regards,
Matt

Matt,
First set:

Padauk

Specie Latin: Pterocarpus soyauxii

Specie Description: Padauk is an exotic wood that is a bright orange or almost crimson wood when freshly cut, but oxidizes to a darker, rich purple-brown over time - although it stays redder than Indian Rosewood. Slightly harder and heavier than Indian Rosewood it is a good wood in all respects - stable, and easy to work with. It often grows in small groups and is reported to be common in dense equatorial rain forests.

Second set:

African Blackwood

Specie Latin: Dalbergia melanoxylon

Specie Description: African Blackwood is an exotic wood native to Eastern Africa, and is also known as Mozambique Ebony or Senegal Ebony. It features a dark brown, even purplish heartwood with dark streaks. It is an extremely hard wood, strong and stiff, very stable, with a fine texture. Mainly used for custom pool cues, woodwind instruments, knife handles, walking sticks, and carving. African Blackwood is considered one of the world's finest woods for turning. It polishes very well to a smooth, lustrous finish.

Ray

The shop is 104 deg. and I had to come inside, but I did manage to finish up this project which will be shipped to Matt's place in Poland next week. Here are some finished pictures I thought some of you might want to see before the site goes on vacation soon. I am sure Matt will provide some better photo's when he can.

So here you go, enjoy!

This is Padauk wood. Very deep grain and requires at least 6 well sanded and filled sealing coats. It was then finished with Polyurethane and coated with furniture wax.

Padaukfinished1-1.jpg

Padaukfinished2-1.jpg

This next one is African Blackwood. It is a really hard wood, but much easier to work with. I created the 'M' inlay out of Abalone shell and hand inlaid it into the wood. The finish was a simple sealer followed by 2 sanded coats of dark shellac finished with Polyurethane. Then I broke that finish down with green pad and 0000 steel wool and then finished with several coats of furniture wax.

Inlayfinished1.jpg

Inlayfinished2.jpg

Next came the real challenge. Buffalo horn with two inlaid sections of Amboyna separated by a 1/8" strip of bone as a separator. The inside liner I cut from the same wood to 0.4 mm and finished it with several coats of CA just to make it impervious to whatever might come in contact with it. As recommended by both Bart and Smythe, I kept the rest of it simple with only SS washers and Nickel pins. I thought the elegance of this finished project would project more of an old world flavor to our growing hobby.

Inlaybonefinished1-1.jpg

Inlaybonefinished2.jpg

Inlaybonefinished3.jpg

Inlaybonefinished4.jpg

Inlaybonefinished5.jpg

I certainly hope you all enjoy the vacation next month and will look forward to chatting with you in September, or before too.

Ray

What wonderful work Ray :thumbup:
the love and skill you display for this always make me feel both clumsy and lazy my friend, and I must say that the last one is IMHO indeed such an elegant piece, it makes me feel that it would not look out of place in a Gentlemans Shaving set, that one might find aboard a transatlantic steam Liner

Beautiful

Thank you for sharing and happy holidays

My warmest wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Ray...Damn that some sweet scales! You have done it again....The choise of woods and inlays are simply fantastic and stylish. The precision and finish are, as always,of a unusual high standard.
Thanks for showing..its a pleasure.

And I just know Matt wont get any sleep before theese beauties arrive safely ;-)
Congratulations Matt...You deserve it!

Kind regards
Torbs

Darn Ray...I just cant stop looking at those scales...You really outdone yourself this time!
Torbs

As usual Ray, they are all excellent work… but I must comment on the last one…

That front scale… looks like the Buffalo horn is embedded in the Amboyna… as if the Amboyna liner and the Amboyna inlay is one-piece. If I didn’t know better I would say it’s Hi-Tec milling and assembly.

I suspect this one will still be a collectable long after we are all gone.:thumbup:

Sorry to be the last to post, but it's still been quite busy time for me. Well, I've seen most of them already since Ray gave me some sneak previews on the progress, but it's the first time I see everything finished. Don't they look outstanding? :) :) :thumbup:

torbenbp said:
Congratulations Matt...You deserve it!
I don't really know if I've done anything particular to deserve them... But hell yes, I'm happy!! :)

regards,
Matt

The one with the inlay is a true masterpiece, Ray.
Perfection to the pettiest detail.

Not to say that the other ones aren't very well done either.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Ray, I've seen many sets of scales made by many different makers, but yours absolutely every time top them all! The crazy thing is that you don't promote yourself nearly as hard as some of the other guys who make them. You always make a very classy and elegant product. I need to find a razor of mine that needs redone and send it your way. Ive got a W&B celebrated that could use some love and attention. When I have enough cash saved I will send him over to you.

Nice work again!
MrMaroon

mrmaroon said:
Ray, I've seen many sets of scales made by many different makers, but yours absolutely every time top them all! The crazy thing is that you don't promote yourself nearly as hard as some of the other guys who make them. You always make a very classy and elegant product. I need to find a razor of mine that needs redone and send it your way. Ive got a W&B celebrated that could use some love and attention. When I have enough cash saved I will send him over to you.

Nice work again!
MrMaroon

Thanks Caleb. Usually I don't have to advertise much because of testimonials like this. Someone usually points others to my work, such as what is posted on this forum, and they come to me.

Ray

Back