ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Steiger

efsk

Sky high and six thousand miles away
SU-Patron Gold
For a long time I've had a razor that I didn't know what brand/modell it was. Both were printed on the head, but which was what? Then I found a razorlot on ebay that made things clear.

The thing that struck me immediately is the condition of the shipper: almost as new. Advertising the good Swiss machine, Steiger fast-safety-razors are unsurpassed, medals won in 1939. The black bakelite razor has a rather short, hollow handle, and a baseplate that reminds me of the Neo-* family of razors. Baseplate marked Steiger on one end, Patent on the other, cap marked "Fabrication Suisse 5". Now what's that 5 about ...

DSC04521.JPG DSC04522.JPG DSC04523.JPG DSC04524.JPG DSC04525.JPG DSC04526.JPG DSC04527.JPG DSC04528.JPG

efsk

Sky high and six thousand miles away
SU-Patron Gold
Now the razor that originally caused my confusion is this Steiger Pilot, of which I now know Pilot was the model. An all-brass razor, all plating has gone suggesting that was once silver (or gold, but I'll go for silver) with head that is adjustable in three positions, as are more German tilted slants. The interesting thing about this razor is that the top of the handle has a small cap on a spring. This adds to adjustability: you can now tighten the handle less, and the spring will keep the head in the correct tilted position, so you can play with both blade-gap and angle. 2D adjustability!
DSC09160.JPG DSC09161.JPG DSC09162.JPG DSC09163.JPG DSC09164.JPG DSC09165.JPG DSC09166.JPG DSC09167.JPG DSC09168.JPG DSC09169.JPG DSC09170.JPG DSC09171.JPG

gvw755

SU-Patron Gold
Interesting razor. It tilts and adjusts blade gap. The base plate resembles the Neo series.