ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

ti chipping

garyhaywood

i just had my first shave with ti le grelot i actulygot this razor two months ago.

once again the edge was all right no as smooth and nice as i'm use to. checked the edge out after shave .with my 30k loop. battery gone in microscope, so could not use that.

I can vouch for what bart has said, i have little micro chips in parts of the blade.

now this could be due to the over use of paste from new. or as bart says the steal. my others honed on dilucot have been fine.

jimmy when you get yours make sure you check the edge .before and after shave

cheers gary

garyhaywood said:
i just had my first shave with ti le grelot i actulygot this razor two months ago.

once again the edge was all right no as smooth and nice as i'm use to. checked the edge out after shave .with my 30k loop. battery gone in microscope, so could not use that.

I can vouch for what bart has said, i have little micro chips in parts of the blade.

now this could be due to the over use of paste from new. or as bart says the steal. my others honed on dilucot have been fine.

cheers gary
Tape, steeper bevel maybe?

Woodash said:
garyhaywood said:

cheers gary

I am not so sure on the tape and angle thing with these TI's?
IIRC its more about the way the Factory finishes the razors?

I may well be very wrong but are these not bang on once rehoned "properly" as it were?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I have only got the micro-chipping issue with the TI "new forgings", which allegedly used steel with very high carbon content and hardened to higher levels than the other TI's.

Here's a picture of the issue, that I shot the first time I honed one. The picture is shot after the test shave. The chips were not present before shaving.
ti%20-chipping.jpg

It was a Sliverwing, that I needed to hone for a Norwegian fellow. I could fix it with a decent stropping on CrO, and the chipping would not came back. That didn't make sense to me, and a bit against better judgment, I tried augmenting the bevel angle with 2 layers of tape. And it fixed the problem. Few weeks later, another Silverwing arrives, from a guy who said he has trouble getting a smooth shave of it. I honed it. Same problem. 2 layers of tape, problem fixed.

I think it's fair to assume that Thiers Issard designs their razors to shave well, with the French (or Europe is you wish) tradition of sharpening. And that is with pasted strops. By its very principle that does result in a steeper bevel angle at the very edge. Since I like the edge off a hone (Coticule), I can only match that situation with adding tape to the spine.

They are among my favorite shavers, these TI's.

Bart.

tat2Ralfy said:
Woodash said:
garyhaywood said:

cheers gary

I am not so sure on the tape and angle thing with these TI's?
IIRC its more about the way the Factory finishes the razors?

I may well be very wrong but are these not bang on once rehoned "properly" as it were?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

yes they are. i have rehoned several with out tape on just coticule and they shave nice. i also just did 10 laps on one with ti paste and the shave was just as smooth as coticule edge. they come with a very slight crispy edge which i don't care for .

tat2Ralfy said:

Ah yes I was right...as in being very wrong!...lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Bart said:
I have only got the micro-chipping issue with the TI "new forgings", which allegedly used steel with very high carbon content and hardened to higher levels than the other TI's.

Here's a picture of the issue, that I shot the first time I honed one. The picture is shot after the test shave. The chips were not present before shaving.
ti%20-chipping.jpg

It was a Sliverwing, that I needed to hone for a Norwegian fellow. I could fix it with a decent stropping on CrO, and the chipping would not came back. That didn't make sense to me, and a bit against better judgment, I tried augmenting the bevel angle with 2 layers of tape. And it fixed the problem. Few weeks later, another Silverwing arrives, from a guy who said he has trouble getting a smooth shave of it. I honed it. Same problem. 2 layers of tape, problem fixed.

I think it's fair to assume that Thiers Issard designs their razors to shave well, with the French (or Europe is you wish) tradition of sharpening. And that is with pasted strops. By its very principle that does result in a steeper bevel angle at the very edge. Since I like the edge off a hone (Coticule), I can only match that situation with adding tape to the spine.

They are among my favorite shavers, these TI's.

Bart.
they are my favourite among a thew others.
i honed the chips out today on my coticule they were like a little flea bite along a couple of parts of the edge.

I've had similar results with my one C135 TI. I like mine though I've struggled with honing it at times. One thing not mentioned above is that this Silver Steel is beautiful stuff. B)

Reading this thread, and hearing about TIs "New Steel" containing higher percentage of Carbon... I remember reading this book:- Steel Working and Tool Dressing: A manual of practical information for blacksmiths and all other workers in steel and iron. By Warren S. Casterlin, published in 1914.

Here is the link to the page:
http://books.google.com/books?id=VZIXtwLqdTkC&pg=PA14

But I will quote the relevant paragraph:
“The best razor steel is said by the manufacturers to contain one and a half per cent of carbon. Practical experience by tool-makers has demonstrated this to be a mistake. The information I have been able to gather in my fifty-seven years' experience proves to me conclusively that 85 or 100 points is better than one and one-half per cent of carbon. It carries a smoother edge.”
Note: 85 to 100 points means 0.85 – 1.00% Carbon…

Indeed below .85% may be a bit too low, however, the recommended 1.5% may produce steel too hard for razors meant for shaving… brittle edges? It is my belief that razors do need to be hard… but there is a practical limit as far as comfort is concerned... ouch!

Good info. C135 razors are 1.35%. Still, you would think the TI folks know as much or more about steel and razors. I've always wondered who the steel supplier is. Someone in Sheffield?

I have had some chipping with mine, but for now I'm thinking one layer of tape for honing is going to be sufficient.

As I am planning to buy a new Le Grelot, I was wondering if there were some progress in fixing the chipping with dilucot,
for instance with hard soap/wax/Emmanuel recipe... it seems that some succeeded in honing with very fine grit stone so why not with a coticule.
Are those C135 blades also more difficult to hone with unicot than other less hard carbon blade?

Best regards

Laurent

I have several ti's . all new ones . two are legrelots. I did struggle with my first one for some reason. Just could not pass hht and get a great shave. I then found my fast leslat hybrid side made easy work of all of them. They take a great edge. I have foud they can be very crispy . You have to lay with them going back and forth to your coti, to dial in on a nice soft edge. My TI i'm shaving with is ultra smooth so i no it can be done. No sign of chipping yet.

ps one of my favourites is ti's. I hae the new crown wing . the blade is beatiful the size the weight is just perfect.

gary

I have one of the new Grelot like forgings in 7/8 from TI and I find 2 pieces of tape and honing on the BBW produces a magnificent shave.You may need 1 piece with the smaller blade I don't know but that is what is working best for me. I struggled with the edge too before this.

life2short1971 said:
I have one of the new Grelot like forgings in 7/8 from TI and I find 2 pieces of tape and honing on the BBW produces a magnificent shave.
That's one of these I was planning to buy (1/4 grind). Did you use unicot of dilucot with 2 layers of tape?

garyhaywood said:
You have to lay with them going back and forth to your coti, to dial in on a nice soft edge. My TI i'm shaving with is ultra smooth so i no it can be done. No sign of chipping yet.
so good news if there is no chipping.
maybe a problem with the first carbonsong blades. Do you have the same results with other layers than a Les Latneuses? (I'm not sure but I remind you had got good results with a La Grosse Jaune) so is there a real need for a slow on water coticule?

Thanks

Laurent

I had good results of both yellow and hybrid side. i remeber now going back some time ago . I had with the old style dilucot(no half strokes) the best ever edge of my la grosse jaune on the silver wing. so now i jogged my memory yes the la grosse jaune did work fine. it took a thew goes. I posted that on here some where. so you should be fine with your la grosse jaune. btw i hav'nt used any tape at all.

gary

I don't have a La Grosse Jaune, my La Veinette is my slowest coticule (I only have 2). Hope it will be enough.

Laurent

I have three le grelots that I got from rasurpur which are the old forgings just new scales I believe.

I hone them from start to finish with a layer of tape and the edges are perfect, nice and smooth and a great shave.

No issues with chipping so far compared to another razor I have.

Basil said:
I have three le grelots that I got from rasurpur which are the old forgings just new scales I believe.
I also have a "vintage" Le Grelot that I plan to rescale and hone soon and hope to get as good results as you.

But the new forging Le Grelot like TI seemed to be more prone to micro chipping due to use of carbonsong alloy.

Regards

Laurent

I use dilucot on the BBW of my La Petite but the BBW although it has a funky pattern on my La Veinette is equally as effective and pleasing. Wonderful razor if you like them on the large side.

I may be wrong but I feel like the chipping issue is due to the fact the new forgings have such hard steel.

Compared to the older ti/le Grelot razors they seem to need much more attention at the final stage.

Then again I have never had to hone any of the new ti's, I sold any that I owned because they couldn't compare to the le grelots.

Back