Tilt (angle) of stroke for the rolling X-stroke

jkh

What is the "correct" tilt (angle) for the X-stroke when honing a smiling razor? I have created the following diagrams, which should get my point across better than a confusing paragraph of text. The thought here is the tilt of the blade at the beginning and end of the honing stroke is relative to the how much of a smile the blade has. Is this this thinking correct?

shallow2.jpg

steep2.jpg

jkh

Actually, it was that graphic that was the impetus for my question. The graphic has a rather exaggerated motion, I think, to get the point across.

wdwrx

Good job! Nice diagrams.
I was working on a W&B FFB last night with a really nice smile. I haven't yet managed to put a very nice edge on her because my "rolling X-stroke" needs a little work. I was doing the same thing you diagram shows, FWIW...

Bart

jkh said:
Actually, it was that graphic that was the impetus for my question. The graphic has a rather exaggerated motion, I think, to get the point across.
Not much time for a lengthy answer right now. (I guess it's your lucky day!:D :D )
But here the only important tip:

[note]Watch the slurry run up the bevel, and adjust your stroke accordingly[/note]

You are correct that the animation shows the motion in an exaggerated way. Don't go over board on the rolling motion. Unless you want to end up with
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
:D

Kind regards,
Bart.

Smythe

Bart said:
You are correct that the animation shows the motion in an exaggerated way. Don't go over board on the rolling motion. Unless you want to end up with

Kind regards,
Bart.
That reminds me... need to finish up that article on Razors to Avoid:D

jkh

Bart said:
jkh said:
Not much time for a lengthy answer right now. (I guess it's your lucky day!:D :D )
But here the only important tip:

[note]Watch the slurry run up the bevel, and adjust your stroke accordingly[/note]

Kind regards,
Bart.
For the record, a lengthy post would be much appreciated :) I need to take the time to read the "honing art" thread it looks like an interesting and possibly "passionate" thread.