ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Time to refresh the edge.

Jeltz

Last night I concluded that the Kropp which I have used to learn both shaving and stropping on over the last 10 months or so isn't as sharp as my self honed Seehund and Gold Dollar.

Its quite daunting thinking that I will be re-honing something that was initially done by Neil Miller but the time has come to refresh the edge.

Its still shaving OK but I'm sure it could be better. I understand that Neil tapes the spine, so would you do the same and just try to refresh the edge or would you advise that I dull the edge, re-form the bevel proceed to use the dilucot method.

Hello Nic,

Well, even the edge honed by Neil Miller will still be an edge, something that will wear some day. :)

If you are certain that it was taped you can surely reapply tape and touch up your razor. Yet, tape thickness will be a factor. Or you can just eliminate any guesses, dull it and rebuild your own bevel. The choice is yours, my advice would depend on your honing experience (sorry I don't recall you yet) - if you're new to honing, then go for retouch with tape, I'd recommend adding two layers of tape, so essentially you will do Unicot - trying to touch up with one layer would be doubtful if your tape was thinner than Neil used. In such case you'd build a new bevel, anyway.

Tape approach will be faster, if resetting a bevel isn't an issue for you, I'd go for second option, you just do it once and touch up the razor occasionally.

I wonder if others agree with my opinion. :)

best regards!
Matt

Hi Nic

I would dull on glass and rehone using either Dilucot or Unicot depending on which method you are most competent at, that way you cant go wrong, and theres no second guessing tape thickness, layers used etc. etc.

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

I'd suggest to give it some extra stropping (100) and see how far you can get with that. 10 months isn't a bad uptime for a razor but you might be able to improve it.

I'd second the setting of the bevel in your usual way if it has to be honed.

what i would do . I would put black marker along the bevel. i would do 30 laps on coticule with water.
don't use tape. If there is black marker left along the cutting edge and its being removed behind the edge . that will indicate that he's used tape. if the ink is removed from the whole cutting edge, that means your making full contact , and you will be able to touch up with no tape. basicly the marker trick will tell you every thing you need. Other than that just fully rehone. I'm sure neil does'nt use paste , i'm sure he finishers on 16kshapton. email him and ask him iof he used tape?

gary

Nic,
You've decided to join this forum to find out about honing razors on coticules - right? So, sooner or later you'll dive into the world of dilucot and unicot an findoutyourselfcot ;) As they say: The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago, the scond best time is now!
Matt already statet it: even the best honed edge is just an edge and it will need an overhaul at some time. Don't hesitate, go and give it a try! You may not succeed at first attempt but you'll be given plenty of help and support in this place to finally do so.
There's only one thing you should not forget about: Enjoy it - no matter if you succeed or fail!

Cheers
BlueDun

So many choices!

Gary that is great advice about the marker, Matt thats interesting advice about the 2nd layer of tape to effectively bring in a unicot situation.

I wonder if I haven't confused matters a little by mentioning that Neil Honed it. I should probably have asked when your razor's edge starts to go slightly off the boil do you dull it fully and start again or do you attempt to refresh the edge?

Anyway I think I will follow Gary's method.

Thank you all.

If the edge has gone of the boil slightly . you should never start again by redulling. You should atempt to refresh. It could take 30 to 100 laps on water. If that fails you could try some half strokes on water followed by normal x strokes. the thing to do is once shave ready . Give the razor 30 laps on water a week or every 5/7 shaves . That will easily maintain the edge.

gary

garyhaywood said:
If the edge has gone of the boil slightly . you should never start again by redulling. You should atempt to refresh. It could take 30 to 100 laps on water. If that fails you could try some half strokes on water followed by normal x strokes. the thing to do is once shave ready . Give the razor 30 laps on water a week or every 5/7 shaves . That will easily maintain the edge.

gary

Ver true :)

The reason I said to start fresh was to eliminate any guess work. The marker will
Guide you well

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Yup, Gary's spot on. You'll have a 100% certain diagnosis of what's going on there at the very tip. I didn't think of it, but, well, this is Gary. :thumbup:

Good luck and let us know if it went well,
Matt

Hey, I ain't got that much experience in honing and edge maintenance, but I'd say : if your razor was "professionnaly" or so honed, the bevel should have been done right, and still be now (unless if you had problems with your firsts stropping, used pastes...).

So, I shouldn't dull the razor, but only do a touch up or power touch up as explained in the academy.

For the layer, I agree with the marker! (or mail M. Miller, to ask him if he used tape, and in that case, what was it thickness...)

As I still consider myself as a beginner, I'm open to any suggestion on what i've just written... :)

Back