ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Two new razors heading my way...

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

I'm super excited. I just got my hands on a Filly #13 a H. Diamond #1000 razor! I've only heard good things about the filly so I'm pretty stoked about giving it a spin. Now I only need to figure out what new strop to get!! Any suggestions?

A so called Filly. How lovely. Yes, you will only hear good things about them. If you got one in pristine condition for less than USD 150, consider it a decent deal.

The Diamond 1000 is a different matter entirely, and I am much looking forward to your review. I have indeed heard good things about them, and they appear to be a reasonably priced alternative to modern German razors. As for the scales on either razor, well, you either love them...

I must admit that I am somewhat surprised by inquiry as regards a strop. There have been several long threads about various strops lately, and I personally believe that all has been said that can reasonably be said. Except, of course, proper reviews of one of Torolf's strops.

Regards,
Robin

Robin simply wants the hype to stop so he can score some Filarmonicas at reasonable prices :D

So, I had a 13 Filarmonica, and it was a nice razor. It was nothing special, but considering I got it NOS for $80, I was pleased. Then, someone traded me an 8/8 Friodur for it, and I was even happier :w00t:

I had the opportunity to use a Diamond, and I was very pleased with it in terms of edge quality and balance. I'm not as particular about scales as some as long as they don't detract from the experience, but these seemed just fine.

I'm sure you'll enjoy those razors.

I have a Filarmonica 14 and an H Diamond 1072 - the Diamond is my favourite razor at this point, even though some find the scales are quite tacky!

I'm extremely pleased with my "old traditonal" strop bough at TheDifferentScent.de, especially after it got broken in.

BeBerlin said:
Except, of course, proper reviews of one of Torolf's strops.

I have 2 here for the fund-raiser, and TBH I daren't try them as I need them to remain totally brand new, I can say that the workmanship and materials appear to be the best I have ever seen, I would buy one in a heartbeat :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

matt321 said:
Robin, not a "Filly Fan Boy" eh? :lol:
Not an anything fanboy, really. I have found that tools are like livestock: People who give them cutesy nicknames are prone to either starting a sexual relationship with them or idolise them. While the former is probably OK if you live in a rural area and your whole village has shared the same surname for 400 years, the latter only leads to silliness. The so called 'Filly's' are just an example, though. I would put Dubl Sux in the same league, only worse. I would not trade my Hess 99 or my Dovo 25 for 5 Goldedges, no matter their state (keeping in mind that 90% of their scales are broken to some extent). Same performance, better looks, and certainly lower price. It's all a matter of perspective.

Oh, and as for the fabled EPBD 'Filly': One of the attractions of cut-throat razors in general is their diversity. Some rather enlightening info in this thread over at http://gut-rasiert.de (German language). As I keep saying, 'there is no silver bullet in cut-throat razor shaving', and that is so true for razors, I think. Would I mind shaving with a Filarmonica? Not at all. Very nice razors, no doubt about it. Do I think they're the bestest, mostest and worth USD 400? Not for me, not by any stretch. But is that not the beauty of this hobby, that it is all about diversity? Just for the chuckles, some visual fluff.

main.php

thanks for the great replies guys. I'm actually not one to care a whole lot about fancy scales. I personally find most of the custom scales to be mostly bulky and hard to strop with. I very much enjoy light thin scales. THe filly has those baby blue scales and was only honed once and used 4-5 times. The H. diamond has nice dark maroon scales that look almost like mother of pearl. It too has very little hone wear and was the "cherished baby" of its previous owner.

I'm very interested in that Old traditional strop, but I can't read German to save my life.

JF

jfdupuis said:
I'm very interested in that Old traditional strop, but I can't read German to save my life.

JF

Me neither but Dutch and German are similar enough to be able to understand what's happening. If you'd like to order one, either pm me and I'll help you out. Alternatively you could contact Thedifferentscent directly via their homepage ("Kontakt"), they are most helpful - in English :thumbup:

Back