ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Vault - n°40, n°46 and n°53

Bart

Gentlemen,

I've updated the Vault with new test results.

First I need to make an announcement. I decided introduce a range for the qualification of the edges that can be obtained with the given Coticule. This range has 3 values. I'm not assigning +-signs or numbers, because that would suggest a score. Which it is not. Coticule edges are always nice and smooth. That is my experienced opinion. There are only minor variations, that are typically less than what it provided by the disposition of a razor. Anyway: I've searched for 3 English words that I feel represent the slight variability in Coticule finishes: Brisk - Engaging - Mellow. Form now on, I will give each Coticule in the Vault one of this 3 qualifications. In this thread, I have on of each qualification.

N°40. A La Dressante. A layer that yield a wide range of different Coticules. This La Dressante is of the faster side of the layer. And that is almost as fast as it ever gets. It gives a lovely brisk edge. Shaves effortlessly and leaves the skin fresh.

N°46. A La Grosse Blanche. This is a very consistent layer: quite fast on slurry, but extremely fine. I've written a few times that they are for experienced Coticule users, because of the rather big gap between the keenness coming of slurry and the keenness required to get good performance of the extremely smooth edges of this hone. But the improved Dilucot procedure has solved that issue and I now find they pose no particular difficulty to get that desired keenness. This hone leaves a mellow edge.

n°53. A Coticule of the Les Latneuses layer. This one has the typical speed, fast refinement on water (although not as fast as seen on some exceptionally fast Les Latneuses) Honing feel is amazing, in my opinion. It almost feels as if a magnet travels underneath the hone, to guide the razor. This one delivers an Engaging edge, which is somewhere in the middle between Brisk and Mellow.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Doh, I was even looking at that in the vault right when this thread started. I had been looking at the price list, but a bunch of the most newly released ones aren't there. Oh well, maybe next time.

I would like to reserve nº 46 (for my brother). Gentlemen, don't pass on excellent stones in the hopes of grabbing a Les Latneuses. My La Grosse Blanche is an exceptional hone, and I expect this one to be the same :thumbup:

richmondesi said:
I would like to reserve nº 46 (for my brother). Gentlemen, don't pass on excellent stones in the hopes of grabbing a Les Latneuses. My La Grosse Blanche is an exceptional hone, and I expect this one to be the same :thumbup:
Quite right, Paul. n°46 is as sweet as it ever gets.
Reservation noted.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I'm writing your name on n°40, John.
You won't regret it.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart,

As would be expected, you have chosen a wise classification method for these stones. The words you've designated to describe the finish off the hones tell of an experience, or a state of mind, rather than a simple smooth, smoother, smoothest type of designation which would indicate a score rather than describing 3 different, yet equally excellent, qualities.

If I may, I'd like to tell you what those descriptors mean to me:

Brisk = a crispy, rejuvenating feeling that lasts for a some time. I would imagine this edge would give a tingle that would make a gentle breeze feel especially cooling and would be quite pleasant on a hot summer's day.

Engaging = This edge would be slightly crisp, but not lasting as long as a "brisk" edge. I would imagine this edge would be invigorating and refreshing, leaving a man alert and ready to take on any challenge.

Mellow = This edge would be totally smooth and devoid of any discomfort. This would feel a face smooth, but it would lack the rejuvenating tingle of the other types of edges. I would imagine this giving a gentleman a very calming, almost "zen" like sensation. This type of edge would be especially desirable on a cold, windy day I'd imagine.

As you know, all types of hones feel different, and everyone has different preferences. I think you've captured the different types of excellent finishes without giving it a good, better, best designation. It would be unfortunate if these descriptors were taken that way. :thumbup:

Now that is a very cool post Paul :thumbup:

Also the dont pass on a great hone in the hope of grabbing a Les Latneuses is some of the best advice I have read, I own one of course, and my beloved #10, is the L#3 faster? why yes, are results easier to achieve? so far I believe so, does that make it a better hone? of course not.

Remember we are using 1 natural stone to produce a great shaving edge here, as this thread shows the results will vary SLIGHTLY from layer to layer, this certainly doesnt make 1 layer better than any other.

I prefer the way my L#3 performs when honing.
I prefer the way my beloved #10 performs when shaving.

And thats just 1 persons experience with 2 stones, its all about personal preference in my book.

i must of had at least 12 plus coticules in the past. I never had a bad one. I loved every one. i'm down to 3 now well 4 with hybrid side. I will not be buying any more.These will do every thing i need. The thing i have found and i've said it before , you get use to the coticule edge. It's only untill you try another man made hone and then go back to coticule you realize your coticules are magical hones.

I never get a razor that pulls or drags in the slightest, the thing i'm seeking nower days is ultra smoothness.

richmondesi said:
Bart,

As would be expected, you have chosen a wise classification method for these stones. The words you've designated to describe the finish off the hones tell of an experience, or a state of mind, rather than a simple smooth, smoother, smoothest type of designation which would indicate a score rather than describing 3 different, yet equally excellent, qualities.

If I may, I'd like to tell you what those descriptors mean to me:

Brisk = a crispy, rejuvenating feeling that lasts for a some time. I would imagine this edge would give a tingle that would make a gentle breeze feel especially cooling and would be quite pleasant on a hot summer's day.

Engaging = This edge would be slightly crisp, but not lasting as long as a "brisk" edge. I would imagine this edge would be invigorating and refreshing, leaving a man alert and ready to take on any challenge.

Mellow = This edge would be totally smooth and devoid of any discomfort. This would feel a face smooth, but it would lack the rejuvenating tingle of the other types of edges. I would imagine this giving a gentleman a very calming, almost "zen" like sensation. This type of edge would be especially desirable on a cold, windy day I'd imagine.

As you know, all types of hones feel different, and everyone has different preferences. I think you've captured the different types of excellent finishes without giving it a good, better, best designation. It would be unfortunate if these descriptors were taken that way. :thumbup:
Absolutely spot on. My biggest concern for selecting these descriptors was to avoid placing one type of edge above the other, while still offering meaningfull information about the very minute differences between Coticule finishes.

richmondesi said:
Bart said:
richmondesi said:
Quite right, Paul. n°46 is as sweet as it ever gets.
Reservation noted.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Hello?????
Where you all going with my Casket?:mad:

richmondesi said:

Would that I even had a chance to pass on a hone.....just keep missing them. They are gone so fast!

richmondesi said:
Smythe said:
Hello?????
Where you all going with my Casket?:mad:
Western Louisiana :w00t:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well… you did stake the claim first so, I will forgive this indiscretion just this once.
However, if it happens again, it will be no trouble for my little friend to fly over and retentive my possession...
images%5Clarge_gargoyle.jpg

And he will have this contract in hand. http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/message/4404.html.

Now... where is that evil laugh smiley?

Back