ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

veinette with crack

stalker

hello friends, i m desperate..i have checked my veinette now and seems to be a small crack between the ardesia adn coticule..

it is normal?

please check the photos

Hi,

Normal and normal... I have one with a similar crack that I keep meaning to pack some coticule dust into then drip CA glue over.

This may not be the best approach, but it is similar to filling gaps in other substances with CA. Maybe someone who has actually fixed one already will jump in.

regards,
Torolf

I agree, there's no problem with this stone. If the crack doesn't extend too far I wouldn't even glue it.

Meh...

You could always shellac the edges if it bothered you, but from what I can see, there is no way that I would mess with it...

As said from me, my own Le Veinette also has developed some cracks in the side, and I simply used CA glue in order to give myself a little piece of mind, it is worth remembering that as with all things natural, flaws and small cracks are bound to occur, when they are onkly superficial and do not impede the performance of things, I believe they add character :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

It's perfectly normal to find such lateral cracks in standard grade Coticules. They do no affect the performance at all, and it's nothing to worry about.
If it makes you feel better, you can drip CA-glue into the crack, till it's completely filled. You can rub in some dry Coticule dust, that you could sand of a slurry stone. Clean any spilled CA immediately after application, because when it cures you can only lap it off. This is only an optional treatment. If it were mine, I wouldn't do anything.
Check out Vault n°36. It has a full crack, and I still consider the guy who bought it to be very lucky. :)

Kind regards,
Bart.

bart this is not the standard grade but maurice have sold me as VEINETTE KOSJIER i have paid it 50 euro
for 100 x 40! and not the 39 euro.

bu the honing surface is absolutely perfect......i don't now if the selected or standar quality is rated considering the perfection of the honing surface..

stalker said:
bart this is not the standard grade but maurice have sold me as VEINETTE KOSJIER i have paid it 50 euro
for 100 x 40! and not the 39 euro.

bu the honing surface is absolutely perfect......i don't now if the selected or standard quality is rated considering the perfection of the honing surface..
They don't apply exact rules to rate a Coticule select or standard. It's more a matter of when they feel a Coticule has a few cosmetic issues that might lead to a customer being less happy when he compares it to a "normal" one, they will rate it "standard". All the rest is "select".
But since they charged a premium for "Kosher" grade, I would definitely contact Ardennes with your concern about that crack. According to my information, Kosher means that an orthodox Jewish butcher would be willing to use the Coticule during his job. They want stones without any cracks because their stones gets covered with animal blood, while the are constantly touching up the keenness of their knife during the action. For that reason they want non-porous hones, free of any cracks. There is no further meaning of the term Kosher for the sake of sharpening razors. Personally I would prefer if they told that to customers that are not Jewish Butchers, but still demand a "Kosher" Coticule. If they charged you extra for it, then the stone should not have such a crack, in my opinion. Do note that my opinion is just that: my opinion. Ardennes may have a different viewpoint, but I would still contact them.

We have a FAQ-entry concerning Kosher Coticules.

Kind regards,
Bart.

:thumbup:

They have the most forthcoming customer care on the planet. Maurice once told me he wants a customer to be satisfied. If not, they'll do whatever lies within reason to make him happy.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
Clean any spilled CA immediately after application, because when it cures you can only lap it off.
Even if the issue with the cracked stone has been solved, I think it may be useful to remind that CA can be softened and cleaned with acetone.

definitively i kept the stone because i like it very much, now i have glued it, maurice will detract me the money to the next real kosjier stone...due to the wrong valutation of my stone.

Back