ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Very strange coticule

livio

Hello, I get this stone , is look like a coticule, is glued on slate, 6 1/2 long and 1 1/2 wide.The slurry is orange the stone is soft, not fast on slurry or water, very strange looking coticule,I just want to share with you.You gents been great in helping coticule lovers around the Earth.For some reason I can't upload any picture.They are to big.
Thank you
Livio

you will need to do a little edit, where the tags for pictures look like this img /img only inside brackets "[]"change the first one to this img=800 If I recall that should help

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Please surf to http://www.picresize.com/
Once there, click on the "quick resize" link.
Use "Select picture" to browse to the image on your computer you want to share with us.
Then, under "choose new size" click "percent" next to the width field and change it to "pixels". Type "800" in the width box. Leave the rest empty.
Hit the "resize pic" button.

A new, properly resized picture, will now be save to your computer. Upload that picture in your post.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thank you Bart. I upload a picture. You should see it now.I try it again today, is a very slow coticule, if is coticule.An HHT 1-2 before stropping.But very very slow on water.
regards
Livio

It's a visually striking stone. I'd love to happen across one like it one day. Enjoy:thumbup:

I have never seen a Coticule like that.
I'm not saying that it isn't one. Strange looking Coticules are known to exist.:) But I can't tell anything about this stone.

Are you able to post a side view as well?

Best regards,
Bart.

It may very well be a Coticule. Perhaps even likely. It's just not a kind I've ever seen. It's.clearly an old stone. Here were many more mines than the one that remains in business nowadays.

Best regards,
Bart.

Thank you Bart, if is any help this stone came with a 1810-1820 razor, the smell of the stone is very strong mud smell, the slurry is orange, and is stay orange even after 200 strokes, but you can feel the steel is polished, the shave is wonderfull, very butterly,very forgiving.And I bought from USA.I just want to share with coticule comunity this good looking stone.And is backed on slate not BBW.
Regards
Livio

Upon second consideration...
There are several indications that we may be dealing with something different than a Coticule.

1. I've never seen an old Coticule that was not backed by a BBW stone. The use of slate was introduced by Maurice Celis of Aerdennes Coticule, because in our modern times, it's cheaper to buy tiles of Brazilian slate than to pay Belgian stoneworkers for producing tiles for the local blue rock.

2. I've never encountered a Coticule with orange slurry. Even the reddish Coticules produce a surprisingly pale, creamy slurry, with only a very minor hue of the surface color. If I understand your explanation, this hone has a slurry that's almost more colored than the stone itself.

I really don't know. Maybe one of our members with broader experience in other natural hones can provide more information.

Bart.

I will post a picture with slurry just to have a ideea.What can be if not coticule? May me a japanese
natural? I did not see other stone backed with slate.

I've never seen a Coticule with such a slurry color.
I think you may need to talk to someone who's familiar with Japanese Suita hones. They have a pale color and a pinkish slurry, I vaguely recall to have read somewhere.

Best regards,
Bart.

Is this the same stone on ebay right now with a starting bid of 199$? Its being sold as a coticule...

livio said:
Yes, is for sale. I just want to share with you what may or may not be a coticule.
Regards
Livio

If the eventual buyer ever stumbles upon this thread, he might feel mislead by your item description. You didn't care to mention that the identification of this stone as a Coticule is uncertain.
Probably no one told you either, when you purchased the stone yourself. But in my ethics, it remains a less than fully honest item description.

Best regards,
Bart.

Back