ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Wardonia

efsk

Sky high and six thousand miles away
SU-Patron Gold
Some years back already, I was looking around on a fleamarket, and the only shavingrelated items I could find were two Wardonia razors, which I then purchased. Forgot all about them, then discovered, earlier this year, mr Nigel Sharpe's bok on Wardonia Shaving materials, and now I have some more Wardonia.
Slight disadvantage with these razors is that apart from some of the early ones, which I haven't yet seen for sale, they take proprietary blades. Curiously enough, 1929 they started producing razors with the guiding posts further apart from normal, and in 1933 they switched to guideposts closer together. They wre smart though: theur Barrelhole blades fitted regular razors, as well as their own variations. Mr Sharpe distinguishes six different heads.
Wardonia named most of their sets, and several names have been re-used.

To start with, the first fleamarket acquisition. This is the Walnut-set, and has a bit of a luxury handle and widely spaced guideposts.

DSC02438.JPG DSC02439.JPG DSC02440.JPG DSC02441.JPG DSC02442.JPG DSC02443.JPG DSC02444.JPG DSC02445.JPG DSC02446.JPG DSC02447.JPG DSC02448.JPG DSC02449.JPG DSC02450.JPG

efsk

SU-Patron Gold
As noted in the first post, Wardonia reused set-names, and they did so with the Rugby-monniker as well. This is the final Rugby-model. Very interesting how the original "5" on the shipper was hand-corrected to "2", and the blade package indeed should hold two blades. Uncorrected versions with a five-blade-pack do exist, but I have yet to find one:
DSC03817.JPG DSC03818.JPG DSC03820.JPG DSC03822.JPG DSC03823.JPG DSC03824.JPG DSC03825.JPG DSC03826.JPG DSC03827.JPG DSC03828.JPG DSC03829.JPG

efsk

SU-Patron Gold
Very nice case on the Rutland. Maybe a bit boring on the outside, although this silver scripted Wardonia lettering is unusual on other models, it gets real nice on the inside. Lift the lid and the fron falls down, showing a real nice display case.
This is the French verson, where they just glued the French text over the English.
DSC03808.JPG DSC03810.JPG DSC03812.JPG DSC03813.JPG DSC03814.JPG DSC03815.JPG DSC03816.JPG

gvw755

SU-Patron Gold
Thank you for showing the different variants. It saved me from making the mistake of bidding on a Wardonia that I thought was a regular holed one, but was actually one with wider holes. I also have second thoughts now as the blade does not look supported at all by the base.:eek:

efsk

SU-Patron Gold
Nice little travelrazor with a sleek variation on the two-piece handle. Note how the "divisor" in the case is thicker on the one side than the other, so the handle only fits one way and won't rattle too much.
The larger holes in the baseplate probably mean this razor is from the transitionary period, where Wardonia went from guiding posts further apart than ordinary DE to closer together than ordinary DE.
DSC04208.JPG DSC04209.JPG DSC04210.JPG DSC04211.JPG DSC04212.JPG DSC04213.JPG DSC04214.JPG DSC04215.JPG

benedetto

It was not very easy to find a NOS of these razors but in the end patience always rewards.

WARDONIA DE CLIC VER. DE LUXE.

Benedetto.