what do you guys think of this video...

Disburden

That's been on there for some time, I remember seeing it a year or so ago, Ardennes must have uploaded it too recently. Isn't that Toxik from SRP?

Disburden

I never shaved with one of his razors before but I think he was known for being able to hone a razor well so...:confused:

Some things just work for people that don't for others.

jfdupuis

Yep. I mean his technique looks very good, but I'm just skeptical as to the number of passes and dilutions.

decraew

Maybe the razor was 'almost there' to start with. I know I couldn't possibly do it with that amount of strokes. I've seen Bart do it in, say, 10 to 15 minutes but in that timeframe he uses way more strokes.

tat2Ralfy

Well I know I can not take a razor dulled over glass, and get it shave ready like that, I can do a power touch up in a similar fashion though, and looking at the light slurry he uses, this to me seems most likely what he is doing.

But hey what do I know?..lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

DJKELLY

I am surprised at the lack of sharpness tests used. I can tell a lot from shaving arm hair, above or below the surface, etc., but one would think he would give more indicators, before and after stropping. YT, Denny

jfdupuis

I can shave arm hair after I set the bevel with fairly heavy slurry. I would not however take that razor to my face even after 50 some passes on water.

Bart

The guy is Alex, A Dutch fellow, if I'm not mistaken. Goes by the name of LXEmergency on StraightRazorPlace and BadgerandBlade forums. He was one of the first guy's ever to do a video about honing razors on a Coticule, back in 2007.

Here's the original discussion thread on Badger&Blade. It contains some further explanation by Alex himself.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Kind regards,
Bart.

Disburden

Thank you! I knew I read his posts before, I was blindly guessing his username. I actually watched his video almost two years ago trying to learn to hone.

Bart said:
The guy is Alex, A Dutch fellow, if I'm not mistaken. Goes by the name of LXEmergency on StraightRazorPlace and BadgerandBlade forums. He was one of the first guy's ever to do a video about honing razors on a Coticule, back in 2007.

Here's the original discussion thread on Badger&Blade. It contains some further explanation by Alex himself.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Kind regards,
Bart.