ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

What is your favourite shaver?

Karl

Hi All,

It's my birthday tomorrow and I think my family members are going to give me some money so might get about £100 for some guilt free spending so thought I'd get a razor :)

My most favourite razors are a puma and a gotta if I had to choose.
I was thinking about getting a Bartmann as Bart speaks highly of them and I value his opinion.

I'd like to know what other members favourite razors are for my consideration?

Thanks,

Karl

Firstly I would like to wish happy birthday Karl. According my opinion all old straights etched <Solingen> is guaranteed as best saver. It is important to know what ground you wish Wedge,Half,I/4 or full.Me i love more the Shulze, Le grelot (even isnt solingen),the puma and the double duck.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Thanks Emmanuel,

I was thinking about a Le grelot and a dubl duck as well as a Bartmann.

As for ground I have razors from wedges to full hollow and I like them all. If I haven't shaved for a few days I definitely pick a wedge.

Thanks for the good advise and wishing me happy birthday :) shame I've got to work :(

Karl

Bartmann's are great, they take a really keen edge !
But so are 1,000 other brands.
Just yesterday I received my first TI new forging, it's incredibly keen as well.

(ps: if you really want a Bartmann, contact me via email)

My favorite straight razor is a John Pitts Celebrated true wedge restored by Ray Habyan. He did such an excellent job with padauk I haven't used wood for scales since. The honing was masterful, using one and half pieces of tape (one regular piece with one starting halfway on top of that.)

There's a certain appeal that comes with items with our namesake. If I'm not mistaken, Bart's affinity for Bartmann razors has to do with the fact that it has Bart in its name. Yes, they are fine razors, but nothing special relative to other high quality pieces. If I could find a razor with my name on it, I'd like to have it too..

Revisors are great razors, too. However, one of my favorite parts of their site is the rarities. Whatever you get, will almost certainly be great. I have recently had 6 NOS unbranded razors from Globusmann that I honed that have taken absolutely flawless edges... It's easy to hit on a great razor, but there are some that appeal to you for aesthetic reasons. I personally think that's an important aspect of razor selection. If I like the look and feel of it, I'm convinced that I'll make it perform well and enjoy the proceess too :)

decraew said:
Bartmann's are great, they take a really keen edge !
But so are 1,000 other brands.
Just yesterday I received my first TI new forging, it's incredibly keen as well.

(ps: if you really want a Bartmann, contact me via email)
Unless you are giving a Bartmann away, please do not promote anything for sale outside our Marketplace forum.

Kind regards,
Bart.

There are lots of razor that I've not tried and still to aquire which I hear are excellent:
Filarminica, Cmon, Dublduck wonder edge, Boker, to name a few:mad: .

I'm no afficionado but can tell you all my new grind TI's are excellent shavers:thumbup: .
I have to agree with Paul about the other factors and preferences.

Joe

Thats a tough and unanswerable question....

Do you prefer a certain size? Old or new steel? Which type of scales? A wedge type? Or a full hollow? Perhaps with a belly? How about the balance? Or the ability to hone the razor?

I do have a very few -2 or 3- favorite razors,none are even remotely the same.

Torbs

Hello again,

Thanks for your replies.

Paul I've been on the revisor rarities link you posted. What beautiful razors.

Thanks for that link Emmanuel I see what you mean. I can't go wrong with any solingen blade and they are all good makers.
I could end up paying a lot more for just the name!

A few of you have mentioned TI's. I know Gary Haywood is a big fan of them too.

So I'm thinking Revisor or TI. I guess I can't go wrong either way so I'll see what I like the look of in my price range.

I don't normally even consider spending £100 or so on a razor but since its birthday money I thought why not?
I normally pick up old razors up from car boots and flee markets and found some great shavers but it will be nice to get something really flash looking with a bit of gold wash or something to add to the collection!

Thanks again for all your comments. I look forward to being able to post some pictures of my new razor.

All the best,

Karl

Happy Birthday! I have a George Butler, Sheffield 5/8 full hollow. Its around 100 yrs old (was wife's grandfather) never restored so has some water marks etc but I find its a glorious shaver and my favourite. Interested to know what you buy, let us know.

The most readily available favorite shaver would be Heljestrand MK32. They are very high quality imo. I have a pair in Ivory that I love.

If I have to choose just one razor for lifetime that would definitely be FON Golden Star Deluxe 13/16. That one beats many of my razors which are on pricey side icluding Thiers Issard, Revisor and Wacker.

I think I would choose the Fon over those choices as well. I must say I have narrowed my collection down to only a handful of very clean Heljestrands:love: from 11/16 to 17/16.

I'm really liking my Swedish razors, but that also has to do with the fact that they make up half of my shave-ready rotation. At the moment I'm really digging my Heljestrand M***K No.31 (very full hollow, smaller sister to the MK32), but the No.23 (quarter hollow) is a great one as well, just like my 5/8 Törnblom rattler/faux frameback. My Söderén frameback is a bit aggressive for my taste, but maybe it just needs some tweaking on the stones.

All in all Swedish blades are quite hard, which means they take a bit longer to hone than, lets say, a vintage Sheffield, but they hold the edge well. Swedish steel also takes a great edge, the fact that many (vintage?) Japanese razors and more recently manufactured kamisori's are forged using Swedish steel is rather illustrative I think.

But then again I have no idea about how the qualities of vintage Swedish steel and modern Swedish steel compare, and exactly what kind of steel is used by whom. But there has to be something about it.

I've been considering getting a Japanese straight at some point, although I'm not sure how they would compare against Swedish straights, being the same(?) steel and all. But I digress.

@Karl: If you are choosing between a TI and Revisor I'd go for a revisor, since from what I've seen they're more affordable and I was never too hot on the TI designs. I guess most of it boils down to aesthetic preferences, like Paul said. Most razors that are in production are great from what I've heard, vintage a better value for money. Unless you're aiming for a high-end (read highly coveted, such as Bartmanns and Globusmen and what-have-you-not) NOS, with £100 to spend you'd be going for the 'cheaper' NOS straights, e.g. on the revisor rarities page. Lovely selection there, I have to agree. If I felt the need to do some serious razor shopping, that's where I'd look.

It's been said here before, but if I want to treat myself with a nice razor, I also check out the Revisor rarities. Or the Schultze section.

Pithor said:
I've been considering getting a Japanese straight at some point, although I'm not sure how they would compare against Swedish straights, being the same(?) steel and all. But I digress.
If you pay shipping I'll be more than happy to send you mine so you can try it out.

kind regards
Stijn

I'd say that my 6/8 J.B. Holland Sheffield and 6/8 Safachat are my favs. Both for aesthetic appeals and their performance. :thumbup:

I will echo others, if you choose a Revisor, or a genuine NOS Solingen, you can't go wrong.

cheers,
Matt

@Stijn:

If Phitor wants to try out the razor and you're coming to the meeting on friday you can bring it along, I'll have a package for him and could include it saving some postage.

I don't have many razors but my favourite is a Provant 25 Boehler Steel Solingen 7/8”

Back