ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Guerilla restoration and so

I also use an aluminium block, it has a wooden stopper and magnets fixed inside of it, works great as a heat sink, theres some pictures on here somewhere, I will have a route around for them, brb......

Ralfson(Dr)

Tada

Photo1086.jpg

Works for me

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Yup, I've seen that before. I fixed my magnets in a wooden base, but I have a piece of copper plate, that should make a great heat sink too. :)

I found that touching and removing the wheel from the blade as you go along the width will really reduce heating. do not go to the edge if you can control that. Then after all is cool a lightpass along the length will marry the scratch pattern together into one smooth finish. The finer the polishing compound the more heat generated by a buff at the same speed. ( Big chunks= space between, Little bits, less space between to relieve heating.)
Cheers
~Richard

Matt said:
Cedrick, what do you use for your restores then, if I may ask? I find it hard to believe that your (tremendous, in fact) works are only manual?

I have been asked this question a few times… the story is a loooong one but I’ll make short…

My solution is a machine with a growing list of several SIC wheels of different sizes, each size progress in grit to a near polish, they run at four hundred RPM with flowing water… so heat issues are almost non-existent.

Though I tend to specialize on getting the “blade” back to factory condition, and the machine is only one small part of a restore… saving the makers mark at the tang, etchings on the face and original scales is burdensome. One day soon I will begin making blades.

I sometimes make scales but only from polycarbonate in the form of the originals. Anyone who knows my work will know my opinions on the virtues of polycarbonate for making razor handles, so I won’t go over them here. It is also the only material I have on hand. Making scales is the only use for the dremmel… to rough profile half-moon and beveled-edge scales…

I have experimented with inlays (outlays) for scales, but my next challenge is bolsters…
.. now that that should be fun.:)

Okay, these are carbide wheels I presume, that explains those lovely brushed finishes... Thank you. Do you happen to have a picture of this miraculous machine? :)

regards,
Matt

Back