ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

100x30 la verte

garyhaywood

well my mate dennis kelly kindly sent me a cut of his la verte. The size is 100x30 my smallest ever coticule.

the stone creates a nice slurry not a fast cutter. So i did dilucot on my dovo best. after dulling the edge soon came back. I the took my time and did dilucot . i thought this is going to be difficult.

I was wrong it was perfect. this size give you a correct x stroke and the same stroke every time.
when i was finished on water. i checked hht . the result was a hht easily as good as if i'd just stropped .i'm not kidding one of the best i have had in a while. i would give it a 4 after stropping a bit of improve mant as more responsive.

carn't wait to test the shve out.

it just proves that even a small hone this size works perfect.i would never of dreamed of buying a hone so small. i would'nt hesitate now and would recomend one as it would be a cheap hone. infact i thinking of having my hones cut down. i may send them to dennis , cheers dennis

gary

that's what I like about my les latneuses because it's so narrow you can really control your stroke

cheers
Stijn

I've thought of cutting my Les Latneuses (size 10 select bout) to get something narrow. It's just shy of 3" wide, ~7.5" long on one side and ~4" long on the other, so I could get a couple of decent-sized hones. However, I'm a bit afraid of cutting it considering that select grade size 10 bouts are supposed to be rare to begin with. So I don't know if I have the heart to do it.

I have a tiny LPB, honestly its only 12mm wide, and 103mm long
It is a delight to use, warped blades, smilers, warped smilers even..lol just take the best edge with ease.
I love it

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
I have a tiny LPB, honestly its only 12mm wide, and 103mm long

I have a small hone just like that, but I think I'll try to master my #6 before I try my hand at that one. You're welcome to try it, Gary, if you want to try something even smaller. I'll see if I can find it and measure it tomorrow. It's cool that you guys are figuring out that these tiny hones are actually useful for honing razors.

Lap one of the narrow sides of that Les Latneuses, and surprise yourself. :) I'm not joking!

Narrow hones have the advantage that you get more localized pressure without the need to put more pressure on the blade and possibly flex it.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
Lap one of the narrow sides of that Les Latneuses, and surprise yourself. :) I'm not joking!

Narrow hones have the advantage that you get more localized pressure without the need to put more pressure on the blade and possibly flex it.

Kind regards,
Bart.

That's an interesting suggestion. Honing on a combination of creamy/hybrid will probably feel a little weird, but I'll give it a try.

I've been trying a theory lately that I think the slower the coticule is in slurry the easier it is to Dilucot the edge. Maybe it's just me but if the gap between fast slurry and slow water isn't present then the dilution step would require less skill and patience? That's for the post Gary! :thumbup:

In my experience it really depends on the particular Coticule.

I find La Veinettes rather easy going, and they're fast on slurry. Same for the fast Les Latneuses.
On the other side La Grosse Blanche, also fast on slurry, requires smaller dilution steps towards the end of the dilutions phase. It seems more prone that the edge "stops following' on a La Grosse Blanche. La Nouvelle Veine has it too, albeit to a lesser extent. La Grises are easy going, but they are indeed less fast than the 3 first ones I named.

Kind regards,
Bart.

it just proves that even a small hone this size works perfect.i would never of dreamed of buying a hone so small. i would'nt hesitate now and would recomend one as it would be a cheap hone. infact i thinking of having my hones cut down. i may send them to dennis , cheers dennis

gary[/quote]

My honor, Gary, and just repayment for your many kindnesses. I have now cut down several of my stones and keep the tile saw set up in the back room. I tried a hack saw and nearly died with the effort. It went great for the first mm or so and then the blade gave out--and the next one. Again, I will be glad to reduce anyones stone, but each of us should have a tiler close that can do the job in two minutes max. By the way, a picture of the stone to which Gary refers is in an early post of mine but I don't know how to embed the link. Help Ralphy? BTW, again, I had a hard time deciding to cut down my les latneuses but am now very glad I did. I now have my favorite 40mm wide hone and a great little travel/problem razor hone. Sincerely, Denny

Thank you gents, this is very interesting thread… again.
I have considering a cutting my 50 mm coticules to narrower size (15 mm and 35 mm or 20 mm and 30 mm) quite long time by now. With this I hope to achieve 2 things:

1. More even hone action distribution along the edge. It's quite common when I hone a straight edge with my 50 mm wide coticules, I often end up with frown edge. And this tend to happen despite I try to shift the pressure along the edge during the honing or do more work at heal and point area.

4612502034_8080aed8a3_d.jpg

4612501852_5618328579_d.jpg

2. I hope get more localized pressure without the need to put more pressure on the blade and possibly flex it or without taking additional risk to my stroke consistency. For example: when honing on 25 mm wide hone the bevel gets about 100% more pressure on 1 mm2 than it would when using 50 mm wide hone.

I think there must be a good reason for that the most of old thĂĽringers and eschers are made quite narrow, something about 30 mm.

What do you think about my idea?
Best regards,
Urmas

I think you all are on to something. I find I only use the outside edges of my stone a lot, and a I'm starting to think narrower is better. I tried a water finish using my Le Verte slurry stone (it's too small to dilute on, 20mm x 60 mm) and even though it was a little short for a proper stroke, the width wasn't an issue at all. I don't have the heart to cut my stone though.

wdwrx said:
I think you all are on to something. I find I only use the outside edges of my stone a lot, and a I'm starting to think narrower is better. I tried a water finish using my Le Verte slurry stone (it's too small to dilute on, 20mm x 60 mm) and even though it was a little short for a proper stroke, the width wasn't an issue at all. I don't have the heart to cut my stone though.

The mad scientist doesn't have the heart? I was wary, too, Chris. Cut one down and you will get over it. There is no reason not to have the stone you want and will use much more if it is now too large and unwieldy. The subject la verte is now a favorite, on a par with my les latneuses, which I also cut down. (Wasn't it you who SANDED THE KANAYAMA?) And, wasn't it you I noticed on the forum at 0430 this morning. Bart must be rubbing off on you! Later, eh, Denny

:lol: :lol: Ya, I really need to get a life! (BTW Denny, WTH were you doing here at 4:30 'eh?)

My good stone (La Dresante ea Blue) is really too small to cut as it's only 150mm x 40mm, I would be left with one very narrow hone, and one even more narrow hone.
I'm tempted to fire off an email to Ardennes for a small one... (or even a big bout to cut and sell off part) but I've got no work this week so all of a sudden, money got very tight.:thumbdown:

Ah ha! You are right, it is 175. (Darn metric system... Canada never did quite get it right) And you are right, too, Gary, about it being a perfect size. All my big giant bench stones seem way too big now.

wdwrx said:
Ah ha! You are right, it is 175. (Darn metric system... Canada never did quite get it right) And you are right, too, Gary, about it being a perfect size. All my big giant bench stones seem way too big now.

Cut those big bench stones, Chris. My own personal preference is 35mm to 40mm, and many stones are 70mm or more wide, which makes cutting them worthwhile. I surely wouldn't cut your 40 down.

As to why I was up at 0430, I was stuffing envelops with re-elect Barry Soetoro pamphlets. If you believe that.....Denny

I can't hone anything anymore without holding the stone in my hand, it makes all those big synthetic stones seem more and more like a PITA. :w00t:

Matter of fact when I think about it all my favorite stones are naturals that are small enough to hold.

I just checked the size of my small hone. It is 112mm x 12mm. Very small indeed, but I hope it will prove useful for me some day.

As for cutting down the hones just some thoughts
you could sell it and buy a smaller one
Or if you like it but the size is too much cut it and you find you might even enjoy it more
only resale is a reason not to customise to your liking right?

I bought 210x70 syntetics, as i was adviced that was an easy way to learn.
Wrong it seems as after splitting them in half its much easyer to get even contact(and a friend of mine got a set of hones too, so now i dont worry about damaging his razors:) )

Just wait till the mail from Ardennes come here, then ill have some questions...

Back