ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

1st Coticule

Jeltz

Hello

I'm new to the forum, it having been recommended to me today, and having a look around I see one or 2 names I recognise.

I received my 1st coticule today from The Invisible Edge and I have a little experience in honing using a King 1000/6000 combo, a dragons tongue welsh slate and a Chinese 12K. My efforts to date have produced an edge that I can shave with but not as keen as I would like.

This is my stone
11u9u0k.jpg

Its got a greyish olive green tint to it.

Any idea how I can identify the layer and how best to use it.

welcome to coti.be. Are you any chance from the uk? I use steve for several products. I have a bout, infact i have had several from him in the past. He is a nice guy to deal with. At a guess i would say it looks very much like a la drassante . Is it quik ish on slurry? take a look at my post in coticule tavern. Under second opinion. yours looks the same as mine . If it is you will have no problems with some practice getting a nice smooth brisk edge .

Regards Gary

Hi there and welcome to coticule.be.
Maybe you can post some detail pics for identfication.
However, since you mention a greenish tint I dare to object to gary's assumption and would bring a La Verte to focus. And just judging from that picture it does in fact resemble my own La Verte. But as said, some detail pictures would help.

Cheers
BlueDun

Thanks everyone, I shall try to take some good close up shots.

Yes Gary I'm in the UK (just worked out how to display that) and while I've not corresponded with Steve its the 2nd time I've ordered from him. As last time the service was spot on, next day delivery and excellent packaging.

I have yet to try it or even raise a slurry, I'll give it a blast and let you all know.

Welcome Jeltz.

Try and include a side shot of the stone.

Steve's delivery service is pretty rapid. I got my first coticule from him too.
You've definitely come to the right place to learn about your new stone.

Glad you made it. :thumbup:

David.

Here are some other pics, under my kitchen lighting it doesn't look to have the greenish tint that it appeared to under my office lighting! I shall have to see what its like in the sunshine, when we get some.
s0v4ig.jpg

23kc2ub.jpg

vcywxh.jpg

210j248.jpg

Nice to see some one else from uk, getting into straight razors:thumbup:

There are a thew of us on here from uk. If you need any thing, we will be more than happy to help. I'm not sure about that layer. Check the vault and see if it resembles some other coticules. It could be a la verte . My la verte is olive green . I'm sure bart will reckonize the layer . From the side it does look yellowish, creamier.The close up looks like a la grosse blanch or similar to my la grosse jaune.

cheers gary

Well under natural light it has a hint of olive green if you look at it at one angle but its mostly a dark cream colour. I've been studying the vault and so far haven't seen anything that looks spot on IMO it looks closest to La Grosse Jaune #021.

I did a short test honing and chalky white slurry raised quickly with the stone, more was released during honing which didn't appear to darken much so I guess its a slow stone.

Jeltz said:
Well under natural light it has a hint of olive green if you look at it at one angle but its mostly a dark cream colour. I've been studying the vault and so far haven't seen anything that looks spot on IMO it looks closest to La Grosse Jaune #021.

I did a short test honing and chalky white slurry raised quickly with the stone, more was released during honing which didn't appear to darken much so I guess its a slow stone.

That one belongs to me . it fairly slow cutter on slurry but leaves a very smooth edge.there are not many of these around , so if it is you have an exallant coticule. i had my very first magical shave of nu21.

Bart says that if it is 'La Grosse Jaune', it should get smiley yellow when you wet it.

If it stays creamish, then I'd lean towards an identification of La Grise. The La Verte stones I've had have retained a greenish tinge when dry or wet.

If it is a La Grise, I think it will be a slowish hone which puts a very fine, mellow edge on a blade. The edge off the La Verte I had was a little more brisk, but the stone was still slow.

Nice stone!! Enjoy using your new coticule. :thumbup:

Its not that clear on the edge but there are clearly 2 different shades one creamy and the top one darker. It hones nicely and is comfortable to use, I achieved my best edge to date with it but it can still be improved upon.

My friend Jeltz.
Its realy a beautifull coticule .As i can see in the photo the hone edges are not enough rounded ,you can perform it on the dmt or on the 1000 grade sandpaper well aplied on a flat surface.Now, if you are able to produse a well polished edge on the chinese 12k hone, do it
returning to the coticule with 30 strokes on clear water without a trace of slurry ,so you'll
have a prodused coticule adge to try the smoothness on shave until you learn to produse an entirely coticule edge.
Please go ahead letting us know.
Best regards
Emmanuel

This is a tough one to determine. It could be a La Grise. I don't think it's a La Verte, unless the pictures really don't show the hue well. The green tint of a La Verte is slightly more blueish than yellowish.
But if I have to put my money on something, I would take a bet on La Nouvelle Veine, slow side of that layer. Normally it's the side that's naturally bonded to BBW, but this one looks like it was the second slice of the layer. We see a speckled part, typical for the lower part of La Nouvelle Veine, and we see an not speckled part, typical for the upper (and faster) part of that layer.
It appears to be glued with the lower side on top. As such, I would expect it to behave as n°24 and n°29 of the Vault.

Do note that this as all speculation.

Kind regards,
Bart

Many thanks, FWIW it does appear that there is a very thin slice of BBW bonded to the schist. Whatever it is I shall enjoy learning how it performs.

OK the very thin slice of BBW is most likely adhesive (picked that up from another thread) the stone is certainly slow.

I tried to use the unicot method and found it was vety tough to establish a bevel. In the end I gave up and set the bevel on a King 1000 grit stone. The coti releases slurry readily but it does not darken much implying to me that little metal is being removed, as the slurry is diluted the stone takes on a buttery feel. I haven't shaved with the razor yet but the HHT seemed decent.

The slowness confirms with the part of La Nouvelle Veine I thought it was.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thank you Bart

The best part is that the shave test was awesome, truly awesome. My honing to date has been frustratingly mediocre but the edge I just shaved with was, almost, as good as any of my pro-honed razors. Sharp, smooth and comfortable.

OK I have no idea if I will be able to repeat the quality of the edge but I'm a very pleased to know that its doable!

Back