ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

4k/8k norton / coticule

JimR said:
I believe, Bart, that a simple "Et tu, Brute?" might have done the trick. ;)

Yes, but that would have been to easy.:D

My dear Ralfson,
I was only joking. You may buy as many Nortons as you want. Your mother may reject you for that, but I won't. I will wait like a patient father, for you to come home again, and when that happens, I will greet you with open arms and I will slay a fatted calf to celebrate your homecoming, while you weep at my chest:

I have recklessly forgotten Your glory, O Father;
And among sinners I have scattered the riches which You gave to me.
And now I cry to You as the Prodigal:
I have sinned before You, O merciful Father;
Receive me as a penitent and make me as one of Your hired servants.

:lol: :lol:

Bah Humbug Sherlock!
Buy a Norton Me?
Never heard such poppycock! :p

Although I was a little saddened sigh (true)

It's funny, the fancy kitchen knife guys at the foodie forums go top shelf synthetic, and treat natural stones like they're family, but a little retarded. I recommended a full thick 1000 Norton and a 4000/8000 combo as the minimum set for a novice knife knut.

That got ME treated like the retarded cousin, Nortons get no respect cause they're not made in Japan of moonbeams and unobtanium. They work dandy and good learners, consistent. There is a high dollar synthetic I've really wanted to try, and that's the thick Chocera 10K. I saw one (used) for $200, which got rave reviews. I just don't know if the rave part was in spite of the fact they're expensive, or because of it. It would be very nice to find out it's as good as claimed. At least one person whose opinion I respect says not, but I'm curious.

mitchshrader said:
There is a high dollar synthetic I've really wanted to try, and that's the thick Chocera 10K. I saw one (used) for $200, which got rave reviews. I just don't know if the rave part was in spite of the fact they're expensive, or because of it. It would be very nice to find out it's as good as claimed. At least one person whose opinion I respect says not, but I'm curious.

I have one. Got it relatively cheap, because when they were launched in Europe, they where initially sold at almost half the price they are selling now. I've always susupcted someone made a pricing error, because all the sudden prices jumped to what they were sold at in the US.
Over a year ago, after using mine for a few weeks I wrote this review about both my Choseras 5 and 10K.

I still pretty much stand by that review, with the addition that I have learned since then how the edge I described to get by finishing after the Chosera edge with a Coticule can be reached without using the Chosera.

The naked Chosera edge is just too sharp. In fact it's so sharp that it demonstrates perfectly how ridiculous it is to state than an edge cannot be too sharp for shaving. It's so sharp that you'll have to watch out how to put the razor on your skin without it sinking in. It's so sharp that it slice through any pimple or slightly raised hair papillae it meets during the shave. It's so sharp that it requires an augmented bevel angle to survive more than a few shaves (It's actually a nice edge, once it dozed off a bit). Of course you can learn how to hover the razor barely touching the skin during a shave, as you can also learn how to walk on a rope. Not my ambition.

I don't think that any skilled honer with a passion for sharp edges, will feel like he was double crossed after spending the money on one and gaining some experience with it.

Best regards,
Bart.

Right, I shaved about half an hour ago with the DA from the coticule followed by crox on balsa. There really was a massive difference in comparison to the Norton 4/8k then balsa crox. I felt like I couldnt go wrong with the blade this time.

The shave was smoother, with the blade just gliding across my face where it wanted to go. In comparison, with the norton edge, I felt like i had to work with the blade to make it work. Reaching the more difficult parts of the neck, i wasnt as comfortable as with the coticule edge - which left no alum sting on the neck, but a light crisp feeling on the chin (entire face WTG then AGT).

Overall, as expected, the coticule edge is just as sharp, but considerably smoother and much more forgiving than the edge from the sythetic norton 4/8k. The upside to the 4/8k is its incredibly easy in comparison to get a shaveready edge. Therefore, if some of you are struggling to get a good edge from the coticule and have synthetics and CAN get an edge off them - do it, then take the blade to the coticule for the final steps of unicot.

Next I will be trying the difference between an edge from 100% coticule honing, to the mixture I just described above (I wont use any crox).

I wonder if there will be a distinct difference?

Nice one James :thumbup: that coti edge is just soo smooth aint it, I look forward to your next test and predict the result: not a lot of difference at all if any, the coti finished edge is the edge you felt, and the steps or methods before shouldnt change that, lets see eh buddy.

Slightly OT, but I got the chance to mess around w/ an Escher-type stone this weekend (I'm sharpening razors for my barber too!:) )
Honed it 1st on the Norton, then went to the Escher/Thuringian (water only). Felt slightly less smooth (although still pretty good) than the same thing done off a coticule & about as sharp, give or take. This was a Sheffield wedge. I remember thinking I might slightly prefer the same razor w/ a coticule edge...

Back