ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

8/8 Friodur in Horn

Aquanin

Here is a 8/8 Friodur that I did is Honey Ox Horn, with a aluminum lined Buffalo Horn wedge with a Buffalo Horn spacer at the 3rd pin. Once again, these things are a pain to center properly and this one was the worst I have seen, but after many test fittings it is perfectly centered now. I drilled the 3rd pin spacer a little off center (It looks more so in the pics) to still keep the thick diameter of the spacer there but still clear the tang just fine.

friodur2-1.jpg

friodur2-2.jpg

friodur2-3.jpg

You can see me taking the pic in the pin:
friodur2-4.jpg

To show how shiny it is:
friodur2-5.jpg

This is absolutely, Wonderful set of scales:w00t:

But waideaminit???? no bearings at the pivot? is this a new trend?

That is absolutely beautiful.
Prefect to the smallest details.:thumbup:
That horn looks like a million bucks.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks guys. What do you mean no bearings at the pivot? If you mean washers on the inside of the scales...they are there.

Absolutely Stunning!
wonderful attention to detail and the finish is top notch, love the wedge, a real piece of eye candy for sure

Yes, we are referring to the same thing. Some folks say “Washers”, maybe because they look like washers, but I prefer to call them by its purpose. The technical term is Thrust Bearings… it’s designed to handle Axial Loads (the “axis” in our case… the hinged joint at the pivot pin, and the load is the tight joint so the blade does not flop around).
I try to make the distinction because we also refer to the Locking Collar on the rivet as simply “Washer” (though I believe they are Finish Washers)… Forgive me… not trying to be “pushy”… I am a slightly dyslexic, and become confused (and feel a little silly) when different things have the same name.
Those scales are semi transparent, so I thought I could easily see them in the photo as in this example with transparent scales.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv80/CedrickSmythe/Miscalanus/Friodur_RTG.jpg?t=1277077423

Hey no worries, you weren't pushy, I just wasn't sure what you were referring to. :) If you look at the closeup of the pivot pin, just above it you can kind of see it. Maybe since the horn is similar in color to the brass its hard to see.

Aquanin said:
Hey no worries, you weren't pushy, I just wasn't sure what you were referring to. :) If you look at the closeup of the pivot pin, just above it you can kind of see it. Maybe since the horn is similar in color to the brass its hard to see.

Not a problem... i see them now... they look about the same size as the Lock Washers.

Incidentally, I can see what looks like your fingers on your right hand, holding the camera in the reflection on the pin head... now that’s a polish.

That's breathtaking!! The balance scales vs. blade, the 3[sup]rd[/sup] pin which I love, this beautifully lined wedge. A masterpiece, great job. :thumbup:

What are the pins made of?

Mag-ni-fi-cent.

kind regards,
Matt

Very nice job indeed. make sure you oil these down occasionally to keep them in this kind of shape. Wonderful work!

Ray

That is simply a fantastic piece of work! All details appears to be nothing less than perfect..absolutely wonderful.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

With respect
Torbs

Back