ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

A crappy restoration of an interesting razor

yohannrjm

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no restorer.

That's why I avoid buying blades on Ebay, and I'm usually pretty willing to fork out the premium for professionally handled blades.

Also, I rent, so I can't have many tools around (have to keep moving them), and I have no work-bench or lathes or any of that stuff. I make do with my hands and some basic stuff.

Anyway, I was perusing Ebay one day when I saw a lot of straight razors - it looked like all junk. However, one rusted razor caught my eye. It was uniformly covered in rust everywhere!! Normally, I'd have ignored the sale and moved on, but the length of the monkey-tail caught my eye. Also, while the rust was everywhere, it looked like surface oxidation to me.

I decided to take a chance. So I made an offer to the seller, and it was accepted. Then I had to wait and see if I'd just thrown away the money.

The other stuff was junk....good only for the scales, but this was what I bought the lot for:

IMG_2579.png

IMG_2580.png

The scales were broken (and ugly), and the blade was pretty completely rusted.

However, a few minutes of work with sandpaper (from 200 to 2000 grit), and then some basic metal polish, and this was the result:

IMG_2585.png

IMG_2586.png

Not spectacular, but I was glad to see that the rust was indeed just minor surface oxidation.

The blade honed up quickly (and well). Very nice edge, though the blade is light. It shaves really well.

This was several months ago, and the edge has held up, so it seem like the oxidation didn't damage the blade.

This is a Wilbert Cutlery marked blade. It came with a matching, if tattered, box. It does resemble the DePew razors I've seen, and I'm glad to have got it. It's a lot of fun to shave with it.

thread moved to the Hospital... however that razor should be discharged from the Hospital as it is now fully cured.

I always admire a minimal restoration so to preserve the character of the article... Fine work Dr. Yohannrjm.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That is a nice and very minimal restore with a wonderful ending! Congratulations!
~Richard

As said from me too :thumbup:

I love it when an old girl is bought back to life, with dignity too

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I can't take any credit for 'deciding' to keep it original. Given the level of my skills/tools, I really had no choice. :lol: :lol:

Some more (better) pics.

IMG_2842.png

IMG_2841.png

IMG_2844.png

....and the box. :w00t:

IMG_2839.png

Yep, I used my considerable restoration skills to give it an 'authentic' worn look. I didn't want to go over the top, so I left some of the sides in!! :lol: :lol:

Some of my best work there!! :D

You see... this is what I like... you managed to preserved most of the manufacturers mark... without removing too much at the corner.

For me it's one of the most frustrating... pitting at the tang, but the tang stamp overlaps the hone relief, no matter how gentle with cleaning, the mark ends up weathered at the corner.

Again... Good job.

Edit: Great job on the box too.

What an interesting razor!

I thought "De Pew" when I saw the shape, but it isn't. Very interesting indeed.

Those "faux bamboo" scales are seen on many different brands of razors.

And be proud of the resto my friend, looks really good!
She came out with all here dignity intact & still looking as sweet as ever.

Thanks for sharing!

And as an addition, Wilbert was a razor trade mark of Sears Roebuck from about 1908 to 1921 and thought to be a product of Böker.
Respectfully
~Richard

Back