ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

A hard spot in my coticule!

donald

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what is this hard spot in my coticule:

coticute_spot.jpg

My razor does an unnatural "click" when crossing that spot. I tried to lap it with sand paper (240 grit).

Can ths impact the performance? Or chip the edge? what should I do?

Thanks.

Could be anything, but a "click" is not good, because that indicates a collision. If you have magnification, I recommend to inspect the edge. If there is a problem, you will spot a small chip.

What you can do, is to bring down the spot, so it lies just below the surface. You may need to repeat it every few years as the rest of the surface wears level with the dimple you made.
To make such a dimple, take a needle or a sewing pin, raise a bit of slurry and start scratching the affected spot with the pin, with the shortest strokes possible. Even on a hard stone, you'll be surprised how quickly you can work your way down in a Coticule.
One of the theme pictures is a photo of a Coticule saw:
zaag-c2f6c99f.jpg

Because of the highly localized abrasion, the saw went faster through the rock than you might expect. With only a needle point, it will be even faster. So do rinse and check for progress regularly. I would not create a dimple deeper than 1 mm. You won't feel the dimple at all while honing.

You can ship the hone back to Ardennes and they will send you a replacement, but I personally wouldn't be bothered.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks for your prompt response, I checked the edge with an illuminated 100x microscope... and yes there's a chip...

Way Off Topic But Sir Bart!!
I say!!
You do indeed look resplendent in your new Avatar Old Chap
Jolly Good Show Sir!
Bang On!
Say What!!

Pip Pip Old Beans
Please do carry on Chaps

My most sincere regards
Ralfson (Dr)

donald said:
Thanks for your prompt response, I checked the edge with an iIlluminated 100x "microscope"... and yes there's a chip...
I suspected as much. Let me know how it goes with the operation and if the patient made full recovery. ;)
tat2Ralfy said:
Way Off Topic But Sir Bart!!
I say!!
You do indeed look resplendent in your new Avatar Old Chap
Jolly Good Show Sir!
Bang On!
Well, kind sir, we know so bloody well that we Coticule Associates are obliged to ourselves to behave impeccably around these perimeters. Since the late Frank and myself already share certain facial features, I thought "What the heck!" and changed my pictorial appearance into his. I suspected it would please you, good doctor.

Thanks.
Bart.

All right, I scratched the spot with a needle and managed to pull out a piece of translucent material (quartz?) leaving a small hole.

Will re hone the razor and see how it goes...

Thanks!

Ok, honed the razor and the "click" sound is gone. I just have to live with that non aesthetic hole.

A clear HHT-3 after water. I could see the double bevel (unicot this time) and no chips at 100x :thumbup:

Thanks again Bart.

You may now use the title "Coticule Surgeon", under you moniker.:D
Well done Donald. :thumbup:

Bart.

Back