ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

A little bragging

Matt

Hi fellas!

The very first day I saw shoulderless blades I thought - 'whoooa, these are real aristocrats among the herd, I want (at least, haha) one!'

And there, behold! Meet sir Edv. (Edvard, presumably?) Neiström, Nilstuna Eskilstuna, Sweden. I was so excited I shot the photo prior to disinfecting it, which also seemingly cleaned the blade nicely. The marking says "finaste kvalite" - rather pretty obvious. It has some dark spots here and there, plus somewhat more serious red rust around the pin. Might be in the need of unpinning, which scares me a little at this moment, but, well, Rome wasn't built in a day... ;)

Tadaaaaa!

edv_neistrom.jpg

Now for the best part - €15 with shipping, isn't this a steal? Mwahahaha!!! :w00t: :thumbup:

proud regards :)
Matt

Absolutely lovely well done Matt :thumbup:

If unpinning is too daunting, and those old scales can be very fragile, I have ruined A LOT trying to get a pin out, you can polish that part of the tang using dental floss, the flat tape kind, and metal polish, it takes patience and wont remove heavy rust, but may be worth a try.

tat2Ralfy said:
you can polish that part of the tang using dental floss, the flat tape kind, and metal polish, it takes patience and wont remove heavy rust, but may be worth a try.
Wow, there are some times when you think 'There can't possibly be anything more said on the topic, can it.' - and there bang, there you're hit with a one like this. :) I have to learn to avoid such thinking - thanks, dr Ralfson!

Actually, the heaviest rust is not where it can be seen on the photo, but on the surface seen from the top when you open the blade 180 deg - in other words, the surface where your thumb sits (bottom jimps), but the part of it which is between the scales. The only idea I come up with is to get some tiny wire brush - the rust seems to be out of the range for steel wool, at least ultra fine grade that I have.

regards,
Matt

If unpinning is too daunting, and those old scales can be very fragile, I have ruined A LOT trying to get a pin out, you can polish that part of the tang using dental floss

Why the heck didnt you say that before I broke the scales on a W&B? :p
That really brought tears to my eyes:cry:

Regards gents

matis said:
Actually, the heaviest rust is not where it can be seen on the photo, but on the surface seen from the top when you open the blade 180 deg - in other words, the surface where your thumb sits (bottom jimps), but the part of it which is between the scales. The only idea I come up with is to get some tiny wire brush - the rust seems to be out of the range for steel wool, at least ultra fine grade that I have.

regards,
Matt

Thats just what I use, a small thin wire brush in my dremel, careful not to catch the scales though :thumbup:

I try not to use the dremel tool in these hard to get to places just because I can't be trusted not to start shaking. I prefer to use a popsical stick with 320 wet or dry wraped around it. That works very nice for me. The curved end also get's the tang very nicely as well. Try it, you might like the results.

Removing the pin isn't all that bad once you know how to do it. I am working on a wiki explaining this, so stay tuned.

Ray

i file it off with a smooth mill file on both ends then punch it out with a transfer punch that is smaller diameter than the hole.

rayman said:
I prefer to use a popsical stick with 320 wet or dry wraped around it. That works very nice for me. The curved end also get's the tang very nicely as well. Try it, you might like the results.
Well, honestly, I didn't try this, but...
matis said:
The only idea I come up with is to get some tiny wire brush - the rust seems to be out of the range for steel wool, at least ultra fine grade that I have.
... I managed to get a set of three mini brushes - steel, brass, and hard nylon, toothbrush size, for sth like €1,20... :lol: Great!:thumbup: 98% of rust went away without any other hassle than unintentional matting of the scales - I forgot to tape them before this to protect them, polishing paste will bring their glory back. Now some polishing needs to be done and I'll keep you updated if there will be something spectacular to show. ;)

kind regards,
Matt

PS. mrmaroon, thanks for the offer, though I will rather collect some cash for a new pair of snowboarding boots. :thumbup:

mrmaroon said:
Also check out my waterville diadem matis.
excerpt_from_Rules_of_Conduct said:
No commercial activity of any kind is allowed, except in the "marketplace forum"
Please don't plug your Marketplace adds at other Cafeteria sections.

Bart.

Back