ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

A simple question

Matt

Gentlemen,

Maybe it's just me, but I can't find this information. Should Coti be soaked in water? I guess not, but I would like it to be confirmed by people who know it.

Mine are due to arrive, let's pray, tomo. :w00t:

regards,
Matt

No, don't soak your coticules. I'm not familiar with any natural stones that soaking would be recommended for (rocks are porous and soaking them water can cause them to become more fragile or even split):)

it is a hard substance that will not absorb water. Just wet it ande keep iy wetasyou go through the progressions. add more water to dilute when the time is right

Not needing to soak it was one of the initial attractions I had to the coticule. Also, that it doesn't glaze over or needs its surface refreshed.

pedalpowersailing said:
it is a hard substance that will not absorb water. Just wet it ande keep iy wetasyou go through the progressions. add more water to dilute when the time is right

I was not aware that coticules were impermeable... That's good to know.

Actually the reason I thought of it was that Chinese - being a natural stone - needs to be soaked; so the guy that sold me one says. But maybe it's a special case, or simply not true.

BTW, speaking of surface refreshing. I have a fine Arkansas hone I use for a folder EDC knife. I have used it with oil, and it developed this darn swarf that's keeping it clogged and less-than-initially effective. I tried washing it with detergent and a brush, but results were mediocre. I read that turpentine was recommended for refreshing barber hones when this happens, do you think this would be a good idea in this case? Arkansas seems to be more porous than a barber hone. Or maybe some other idea?

regards,
Matt

Depending on which variety of arkansas, they can be nearly impermeable or .. not. The translucent and black are nearly impermeable and the rest are .. not.

FWIW it's been 40 years since I put oil on a rock, and I use arkansas burnishing stones several times a week.

To the best of my knowledge 90% water and 10% generic dish detergent will do for lubricant on any sort of hone. It's quite possible other liquids are superior, but oil isn't one of them. I've gradually, over the course of the last decade, stopped using water (alone) because the detergent mix works well and seems to minimize wear on the knives AND stones.

I make no claims regarding RAZORS and diluted detergent; kitchen knives and personal utility knives are my primary interests and the bulk of my experience.

Easy-Off oven cleaner will remove oil, as will soaking in a crockpot with some strong cleaner (powdered dishwasher soap). Use low heat, start with rocks and water both cold/room temp; and don't touch the rocks till they've completely cooled down. Boiling them out is risky and sudden temp changes will crack them EVERY time.

Back