ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

about Angle

dancaldes

Hello,

What is angle for HHT, angle between razor's blade and hair ?
For me 90 degrees means HHT 1 - HHT 2, and 30-45 degrees means HHT 3 - HHT 4.
Razor has been coticuled and stroped.
It's OK ?

Best regards.

I think most of us observe the HHT by doing it the easiest way (with the razor slightly angled away from the holding point of the hair, and the hair held by its tip end. The latter make quite a difference too.

With that said, a Coticule edge can (and in my opinion: should) pass the HHT before it is stropped. Stropping will provide a significant improvement, but I'm only happy with the shave if my edge already passed HHT-3 before stropping. The edge needs to be dry before testing. I use kitchen paper for that.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
With that said, a Coticule edge can (and in my opinion: should) pass the HHT before it is stropped. Stropping will provide a significant improvement, but I'm only happy with the shave if my edge already passed HHT-3 before stropping. The edge needs to be dry before testing. I use kitchen paper for that.

That's odd Bart. With my LPB eg, in general I don't pass the HHT at all (well, maybe HHT-1) before stropping. It improves dramatically to HHT-4 after stropping :confused:

decraew said:
Bart said:

That's odd Bart. With my LPB eg, in general I don't pass the HHT at all (well, maybe HHT-1) before stropping. It improves dramatically to HHT-4 after stropping :confused:

It remains a personal observation. If that's how it works for you, your hairs source, your Coticule, your beard, that's great. :thumbup: Have you tried Unicot on that La Petite Blanche? I have yet to meet a Coticule, that doesn't leave an edge that pops hanging hairs with ease, even on thinner hairs.

I can only testify that I chase the HHT before stropping on all my razors. Sometimes it takes me longer to reach that stage during finishing than the other stages of my honing. Sometimes, it's spot on from the first attempt. Each time I have settled for less, I regretted it during the test shave. So eventually I learned not to stop before the HHT checks out. But that is really just me. We must never forget that when we approach the actual shave, everything in this hobby turns into personal preference and each individual's personal idiosyncrasies.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
I can only testify that I chase the HHT before stropping on all my razors. Sometimes it takes me longer to reach that stage during finishing than the other stages of my honing. Sometimes, it's spot on from the first attempt. Each time I have settled for less, I regretted it during the test shave. So eventually I learned not to stop before the HHT checks out. But that is really just me. We must never forget that when we approach the actual shave, everything in this hobby turns into personal preference and each individual's personal idiosyncrasies.

Kind regards,
Bart.

That is exactly how I have found it is for me too :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back