ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

ambrose strop suggestion

stalker

hello i d like to buy my third strop ( i have livi loom strop, and kanayama 3000) i m thinking to ambrose strop horsehide....could you explain me the difference between the linen component and the diamond "linen" ??

thanks

Ambrose "linen" component is a stiff cotton canvas type material. I like it alot. It works well off the hones as well as daily use. The diamond on Ambrose Strops is actually a pattern embossed (I think) onto the back of the leather. I have two Ambrose strops with diamond patterns. The diamanté de Latigo and a De Caballo Mas Fino. I have been very impressed with the Diamanté de Latigo. I have now had it for a couple months and the diamond pattern seems to do wonders for my edges.
I have only had the Caballo for a few weeks and while first impressions are very positive, I need to use it more before giving a more in depth review.

Ambrose Strops are first rate. I own three and would not hesitate recommending them.

It sounds like you have a couple of very nice strops already, but here we go.

I have one Ambrose strop, and I'm not really impressed with the construction. It's not well cut. Although the cordovan leather on mine is nice (even if thin), it hangs crooked. The cotton was not sealed at the ends so was fraying a bit. Otherwise, cotton is works, although I would not consider it special. I don't know how good the diamond pattern leather is, but I am personally not interested in finding out for myself. Maybe my strop is the odd one out, but I don't consider these strops special enough to consider over, say, Tony Miller's or Torolf's work--both of these people pay the highest attention to these details.

I'm sure most cordavens are thinner, in the uk . in japan the kanayama seems the best for thickness.

to be fair i have only 2 strops now .why don't consider a torolf strop. they are real nice leather, just as nice as cordaven .

Danricgro said:
Ambrose Strops are first rate. I own three and would not hesitate recommending them.

There's a rather negative review about Ambrose strops, here.

I have never used one, hence I can't comment on performance, not price/quality ratio. But based on the pictures in the linked review, I'd say that my definition of "first rate" differs.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
Danricgro said:

I have never used one, hence I can't comment on performance, not price/quality ratio. But based on the pictures in the linked review, I'd say that my definition of "first rate" differs.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Wow, I own two of Ambroses stops and neither are what are in that review, I'm not sure you could even call that one a strop.

I don't have a camera handy but what I purchased are both very similar to what you see in this review. http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...5&title=-ambrose-soft-horse-hide-strop&cat=83

Pebcak said:
Bart said:
Danricgro said:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Wow, I own two of Ambroses stops and neither are what are in that review, I'm not sure you could even call that one a strop.

I don't have a camera handy but what I purchased are both very similar to what you see in this review. http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...5&title=-ambrose-soft-horse-hide-strop&cat=83

Sigh. My previous post got eaten by the submit button.

Anyway, the cordovan leather that Ambrose uses is nowhere near the thickness of Kanayama's, at least from my experience.

As far as the strop Pebcak mentions, I notice that the cotton strap is cut shorter than the leather. I also notice a slight bow in the length of the leather (mine has this problem too). I'd like to see how the hardware end is cut. On mine, it is very amateur, and there is a gap where the pieces are supposed to be clamped together. The gap is big enough for another piece of leather, maybe two. Mine also hangs crooked off the hardware because of where the holes were punched, and it looks like the one in that review might as well.

These are all details that I would expect to be looked after in something that's sold commercially and claimed to be of high quality, most especially because cutting the leather is a big part of making a strop. So, I'd hope that the person cutting would get it right, especially at the prices these are going for new. (For full disclosure, I got mine slightly used, so I make no note of the finish of the leather surface.)

Bart said:
Danricgro said:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Wow, those pictures are ugly. The three Ambrose Strops I own are flawless. After seeing those pictures I wonder what happened. I guess
I got lucky and will keep my mouth shut!!!!!

Danricgro said:

Please don't. I didn't share that review for proving you wrong.
It would be as unfair to withhold the negative as if would be to withhold the positive.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
Danricgro said:

Please don't. I didn't share that review for proving you wrong.
It would be as unfair to withhold the negative as if would be to withhold the positive.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks Bart, I really didn't take your post that way at all. I am glad you provided the info that you did. While I would still buy another strop from Jose (Ambrose) I will be sure to qualify any recommendation I give to others by providing them with the info you supplied.

I have tried one, and I was completely underwhelmed. As with any piece of shaving equipment, you have to put things into perspective. I consider SRD's strops and the Kanayama strop line the benchmark - simply they have been supplying consistent quality for an extended period of time as well as significant numbers. Compared to either, these Ambrose strops fall woefully short. I'd much rather get one of the large Scrupleworks strops or an Old Traditional instead.

Oh, and just for the record, I wouldn't trust reviews if the reviewer doesn't disclose the source of the product reviewed. There is an interesting number of either overexcited or borderline libellous "reviews" over at Badger & Blade. Makes you wonder. Especially when you know that some of its leaders have approached manufacturers, demanding(!) free products, and who, when denied that demand, wrote scathing reviews. The opposite works as well, of course, and every forum has its pet strop and soap vendors.

In short, ask people you know or trust. And get an SRD Premium IV.

The same could very easily be said of SRP Robin. He does raise a good point though, don't just trust a review from one source.

Back