ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

An interesting thread...

Yes, I've been reading that thread. And decided to stay out of the way... ;)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart, did you see the results? What do you think is going on? I'd guess slurry dulling, coupled with a complete lack of abrasive ability to overcome that, but I really have no idea.
I'd love to hear other input, even if the idea is a dud.
What was that quote? Failure is just learning one more thing that doesn't work... or something to that effect?

wdwrx said:
What was that quote? Failure is just learning one more thing that doesn't work...
I very much agree with that, and I understood that you had to try, so that's why I didn't want to post that it couldn't work.
But for sharpening, 2 Mohs is so out of range that you didn't stand the slightest chance.

The Mohs' scale is a comparative index rather than a linear scale. In fact, Mohs' scale has a near logarithmic relationship to absolute hardness. At the lower, softer end of the scale, the difference in hardness is close to linear, but at the extremes of hardness, there are much greater increases in absolute hardness (e.g., a greater increase in the hardness between corundum and diamond than between quartz and topaz).
http://science.jrank.org/pages/4394/Mohs-Scale.html#ixzz17e0KGltu

I really encourage experimentation, but no one ever threw a random number of metal parts in an box, and ended up with a working engine. ;)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
I really encourage experimentation, but no one ever threw a random number of metal parts in an box, and ended up with a working engine. ;)
The French have been doing exactly that. With varying success. As you know.

Well, I "drive" a black C4, and my new C4 (also black) is ready for pick-up. The wife wanted it. I miss my Hirsch tuned 2001 9.3 Saab (metallic green, cream leather, and all bells and whistles), though. A lot, in fact. But the difference in fuel consumption pays the entire leasing rate for the C4. :mad:

My wife wanted and drove a black "made in france" Yaris over a black C3 and I go to work by bike:cry:

Just a comment on talc and the Mohs scale:

It's a pretty safe bet that nobody is going to sharpen nothing on talc (hardness ~1). Similarly, it's not very likely that anybody is going to sharpen anything on mica (hardness ~2-2.25). Yet, mica minerals typically comprise ~50% of BBWs, and they of course are known to sharpen razors - often when garnet contents are quite low.

All I'm saying is that all these components work in concert with one another to a great extent. The honing experiment over across the hall looked at talc. A talc-containing stone might behave differently. It's hard to say....:huh:

Well, I will say that some of what I found made a certain sense to me. The polishing effect I expected to see, to one extent or another. Ya'll might think I'm nuts, but I'm somewhat fixated on this idea that low moh's values treatments still have some kind of effect. At what level, and through what medium, I'm not altogether clear on, beyond a vague idea of "plastic flow". Whatever it is, I think it's at the heart of the stropping effect. And as Steve's aluded to, it may or may not play a role in the honing effect as well.
What surprised me was the edge deterioration, and so quickly. I wasn't really expecting such an immediate dulling effect. I guess that the stone released so much slurry and not being balanced by any abrasive qualities, as soft as it was (I'm assuming a high talc content soap-stone), it was still enough to reduce the edge keenness.... Which is pretty much what Bart said.

I keep playing these little mind movies over and over again in my head, trying to visualize what was going on on a scale I find hard to encompass, and I'm struggling to understand a bit more about the interplay of different things and how it comes into play on the edges.... whatever, it's all in fun:) I've surely had my respect for the particular values of a good coticule reinforced, that's for sure.

YCP, (;) )
-Chris

Back